Author Topic: Tracing a Scottish Marriage: Charles Wilson & Cathrin Claperton  (Read 1293 times)

Offline awilson116

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing a Scottish Marriage: Charles Wilson & Cathrin Claperton
« on: Monday 02 October 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to trace a marriage bann or marriage for Charles Wilson and Cathrin Claperton. They first appear with the christening of their daughter Ann Wilson on 1/6/1805 in Larbert, Stirling. I have also found the baptism entry for my great great grandfather William on 25/2/1810 in Muiravonside, Stirling. I have searched on Scotlands People and cannot trace a marriage for Charles and Cathrin. This is not helped by the variation in the spelling of Cathrin/Katherine Clapperton/Claperton.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions to move forward or should I assume that the marriage has not been recorded?

Thanks

Anna

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing a Scottish Marriage: Charles Wilson & Cathrin Claperton
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Do the baptisms you found give any clues about where the children were baptised? Sometimes an entry will say baptised by the minister of the Secession church or baptised in the Relief Kirk and so on. If they were baptised there, chances are that parents also married outside the established Church of Scotland. If so, the records may very well not be on ScotlandsPeople.

Offline awilson116

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev,

Thank you for the reply! A cousin of mine had passed on birth information about a Charles Wilson baptised on 27th Dec in 1803 in Larbert but I couldn't find anything for him. Thank you for the link to the list of Charles and Katherin's other children. I have followed your link and downloaded the baptism entries from Scotlandspeople which confirms they are all Charles and Katherin's children so thank you very much 😀

Best wishes

Anna

Offline awilson116

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Scottish Janeology

Thank you for the reply. Interesting thought about the baptisms. I have had a look at them all again and they are all taken from Larbert and Muiravonside Parish Records. What is interesting is that each entry records two witness so not sure if this was a standard procedure. Also next to the name of the child is the word "lawful" which seems be similar for most of the entries on the page.  I guess this suggests that Charles and Katherin were therefore married?

Best wishes

Anna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 October 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
What is interesting is that each entry records two witness so not sure if this was a standard procedure.
Yes.

Also next to the name of the child is the word "lawful" which seems be similar for most of the entries on the page.  I guess this suggests that Charles and Katherin were therefore married?
Yes again.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.