Author Topic: Burial for my great uncle stephen parker  (Read 1444 times)

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial for my great uncle stephen parker
« on: Monday 02 October 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have just discovered my great uncle Stephen parker died at 5 days old in the workhouse infirmary in Luton on the 14 th april 1915. Poor wee man had Imperforate anus which i had never heard of till i read his death cert. So i was wandering if anyone had any thoughts where he might be buried. Did the workhouse have a grave yard was there a church yard near by. Im assuming that  he lived long enough to be baptised so he could go in a church yard.
Thanks Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial for my great uncle stephen parker
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
Peter Higginbotham's excellent site has this
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Luton/
there are some maps too. I can't see a burial ground or church nearby. Such a young baby would probably have been buried with an unrelated adult.

Apparently the birth & death registers are held at Bedfordshire Archives; the death is over 100 yrs so you should be able to have access to his entries [no one else alive will be on the same pages].

ADDED: Here's the nls map, you can look around to see if there are churches nearby.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.8808&lon=-0.4252&layers=168&b=1
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Was he also born in the workhouse ?  Or was he in the workhouse infirmary as he was so ill & that was the best hospital in the area ?

** Eureka Partnership has a publication Luton Union - Workhouse births up to 1906-1914 & deaths 1906-1928)  Your Stephen Parker is listed, date of death 14 Apr 1915, age 6 days, admitted Luton, buried Luton.

Bedford Archives may have the Luton Union Workhouse Registers for Admission & Discharge that might give you more details. Suggest you contact them to see if they can help you.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 October 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
Quite possibly not born there, JohnP, only birth certificate would tell
Births Jun 1915   
Parker    Stephen    MMN Loveridge    Luton    3b   624
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 October 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
His birth certs says he was born on limbury rd but no number. Not sure if he was born in a house they did have a gypsy wagon so he may have been born under it or in a tent or in a house. I looked on the google map and some of the cottages did look as if they were built before 1915. couldnt see a church nearby will try and see if there is a possible church in that parish.
Thankyou for your help.
Tracey
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 October 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
People who died in Bedford Workhouse after 1855 were usually buried in Bedford Cemetery, although a few were buried in their home parish. Assuming the same applied in Luton, I would expect Stephen to have been buried in the main Luton Cemetery. At five days old, it is unlikely he would have been baptised, but if it was a cemetery burial, it would make no difference as cemeteries had both consecrated and non-consecrated areas. If you ring Bedfordshire Archives, they may be willing to do a quick lookup for you.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk