Author Topic: Stewart family tree  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Heather Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stewart family tree
« on: Monday 02 October 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
Am looking for any I formation regarding a Jane hossack.She married a Charles Stewart.Don't know where they came from.In 1750 they were living at Gordon's mill in resolis.Their first son Donald was born there in 1750. I am descended from another son john who married a Janet Reid.If they were married in resolis prior to 1748 it is not possible to trace where they came from as the records were destroyed I believe.If Janet came from cromarty and got married in cromarty then perhaps she could be traced back to there.Does anyone have these ancestors in their family.Thanks for any help.

Offline manda_mcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart family tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
not a direct answer to your query but the following might be of interest it relates to many stewarts from around that time

https://www.academia.edu/8190858/A._D._Stewart._The_Glassary_Stewarts_their_origin_history_and_genealogy._Rome_2013
MCDOUGALL (Glasgow and Glassary, Argyllshire), SINCLAIR (Lanarkshire), CAMPBELL (Aberdeen, Ayr and Gorbals), DOLAN (Greenock), RUSH, BELL, COUSIN(S), PATERSON, KERR, DEARIE, KENNY, GORMLEY, (mostly from Ireland to Glasgow) GILLIES (Glassary & Lochgilphead) McFIE or MCPHEE,

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart family tree
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Be cautious. Stewart is the 4th commonest surname in Scotland, even without adding variant spellings, and Glassary is in Argyll, over 150 miles from Resolis, so the chances of them being connected are fairly small.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.