Author Topic: Birth Look up Please non conformist St Marys roman catholic rStockton Durham  (Read 1650 times)

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I
Have a male Allen baptised 3 feb 1793 at St Marys Roman Catholic church Stockton on tees to a Willam Allen and a Jane Morell. All the other children are named but this one. ???
The IGI is    C06485-1
It is also on ancestry but there is no baptism image to take a look so im wondering if anyone may look at the actual baptism entry on the parish record, there must be a forename.
They had the following children ;Ralph , Rowland ,Mary ,Edward, John ,Sarah plus this unnamed Male.
Horn - Fife Scotland

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Look up Please non conformist St Marys roman catholic rStockton Durham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
There is an image on Ancestry,
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2972/40612_B0147774-00015/117576?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return

looks like either the parents hadn't decided to name the child, OR by the time the priest wrote the entry, he'd forgotten what the child's name was  OR they called the child Allen Allen :-)

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Look up Please non conformist St Marys roman catholic rStockton Durham
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
The sex of the child isn't mentioned in the entry either.
It says '.....[blank] Allen [blank] of William and Jane Allen......'

There are several blanks in the various other entries, for instance mother's maiden name, but on a quick glance through I can't see any others where both the Christian name and sex of the child have been omitted.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
The sex of the child isn't mentioned in the entry either.
It says '.....[blank] Allen [blank] of William and Jane Allen......'

There are several blanks in the various other entries, for instance mother's maiden name, but on a quick glance through I can't see any others where both the Christian name and sex of the child have been omitted.

I got the male from the LDS website.
Horn - Fife Scotland

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 00:29 BST (UK) »
There is an image on Ancestry,
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2972/40612_B0147774-00015/117576?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return

looks like either the parents hadn't decided to name the child, OR by the time the priest wrote the entry, he'd forgotten what the child's name was  OR they called the child Allen Allen :-)

Boo

Thanks ,
I did not see the image earlier my PC was playing up but can see it now. Godparents sidgewick. Why are they Stockton registers but mention at Darlington ? which is another town.
Horn - Fife Scotland

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Why are they Stockton registers but mention at Darlington ? which is another town.

I am not too familiar with this area but the RC church in Darlington seems to be St Augustine's. According to their website, the land on which to build the church was bought in 1825, so it would appear that before that there wasn't an RC church there.
Its not unusual , while funds were funds for a church were being raised,  the nearest priest would travel to the congregation, say mass, baptise etc etc. There could have been a particular building they used while waiting for a church, or they could have gathered in a house. A lot easier for one priest to travel to Darlington than for however many worshippers to travel to Stockton.

That's just my best guess though, perhaps someone more familiar with the area will pop along and enlighten us both :-)

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
Why are they Stockton registers but mention at Darlington ? which is another town.

Take a look at image 5 in the set, and you'll see that they are in fact entitled 'Baptismal Records for Darlington and Stockton'.

On the next page it says 'By the names Stockton and Darlington are to be understood all the neighbouring parishes belonging in those congregations, as many of the children were baptized at their own houses'.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
My invaluable copy of 'Down Your Aisles' which is a history of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle, states that John Daniel, who carried out this baptism, was in fact the first resident Roman Catholic priest in Stockton, having arrived in 1783. He raised funds to build a chapel in Stockton, which was in use by 1791. The chapel was situated in Playhouse Yard at the rear of the north side of Finkle Street.

According to the book there wasn't a resident priest in Darlington until about 1804, and it states that before that date 'various priests based at Stockton and Durham had ministered to the small flock' (which is what Boo suggested in her reply).

The entry on Family Search is based on the baptismal register you've seen on Ancestry, which clearly doesn't state the sex of the child. I don't know why they have assumed it was a male child.

Offline kynren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
My invaluable copy of 'Down Your Aisles' which is a history of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle, states that John Daniel, who carried out this baptism, was in fact the first resident Roman Catholic priest in Stockton, having arrived in 1783. He raised funds to build a chapel in Stockton, which was in use by 1791. The chapel was situated in Playhouse Yard at the rear of the north side of Finkle Street.

According to the book there wasn't a resident priest in Darlington until about 1804, and it states that before that date 'various priests based at Stockton and Durham had ministered to the small flock' (which is what Boo suggested in her reply).

The entry on Family Search is based on the baptismal register you've seen on Ancestry, which clearly doesn't state the sex of the child. I don't know why they have assumed it was a male child.

Interesting , I have found the rest of the family at Darlington. I was trying to find any record on the childs name .
Horn - Fife Scotland