Author Topic: Margaret Aird b 1818 Whitletts St Quivox  (Read 1755 times)

Offline GlasgowGirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Aird b 1818 Whitletts St Quivox
« on: Monday 02 October 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any record of the death of Margaret Aird, last appearing in 1841 census in Whitletts, St Quivox, along with her mother, Marion Neil, and half-brother, James McGrigor.  She had a daughter, Helen (my great grandmother), with Thomas Fitzimons probably about 1844 but I can find no trace of her after 1841.  Perhaps she died in childbirth?  Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Vance, Grieve, Fitzsimons,
Aird, Neil, McGregor, O’Hara

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Aird b 1818 Whitletts St Quivox
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Helen is Fitzsimonds in 1851 and shown as a lodger in St Quivox with Mary Neil aged 56
and James McGregor 23.  Not shown as granddaughter

Newton on Ayr ED 8A Page 31 Line 4

Scotlands People index has this possible death

Margaret Aird aged 32   6.1.1851 Kirkmichael

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GlasgowGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  I know Helen just appears as lodger in 1851 but the story really is quite complicated.  By 1861 she is living with James McGregor and his new wife Isabella Finnie in Stewarton and is shown as his niece.  Marion Neil had a natural daughter, Marion Aird, with John Aird and also a natural son, James McGregor.  I had come across the death record you have cited but could not see the connection with 'my' Margaret Aird.  But looking at it again, I shall try and find some more supporting evidence. 
Once again, many thanks for the encouragement.  If any of these people are in your family tree, let me know and I shall provide any information I can about them.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi -

There is a marriage in April 1850 between a Margaret Aird and a Robert Gardiner -
Parish Records - 21st April 1850 Maybole Ayrshire
                      - 23rd April 1850 Kirkmichael , Ayrshire.

There is also a Robert Gairdner on the 1851 Census at Maybole living with his widowed mother, brother and nephew - address Culroy village
Robert Gairdner   is widowed age 27  and is  a Cart Wright .
I wonder if the death of a Margaret Aird in Jan 1851 at Kirkmichael is the above's wife.

Can I ask , when Helen Fitzsimonds marries is her mother named on her marriage certificate and is she noted as deceased?

Looby :)

Offline GlasgowGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby

Thank you so much for the response.

Helen Fitzsimons married John Vance, coal miner, on 22 Sep 1865 at Annbank.  Her father was Thomas Fitzsimons, engine keeper, and her mother was Margaret Aird (deceased).
The OPR deaths 600/30 319 Kirkmichael show Margaret Aird of Culroy, wright's wife, died in childbirth at the age of 32.  So the age is right.
The 1841 census has 'my' Margaret Aird in Whitletts.  Perhaps she moved to Kirkmichael to get work?
I shall keep looking for the missing piece of the jigsaw!
cheers
Glasgowgirl

Offline GlasgowGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I am doubtful that Robert Gardiner's wife is the right Margaret Aird.  There is another one in the Old Parish records for Kirkmichael born on 14 Mar 1818.  So she would be just 2 months younger than the St Quivox Margaret.  Much more likely that she was the one who died at Culroy in 1851.
Oh well, back to the drawing board...

Cheers

Glasgowgirl

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
Yes Glasgowgirl,

Looks like the Kirkmichael born Margaret could be a good candidate for the wife of Robert Gardiner and the wife of the wright who died in childbirth.

There are a couple of other Margaret Aird's who marry in Ayrshire during the 1840s and 50s but hard to say if any are the Margaret you are looking for.

Looby :)

Offline GlasgowGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 17 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi looby

I believe the Mitchell holds interment records for Ayrshire and that is my next plan for tackling the brick wall.  I shall let you know if I get any joy. 
Thanks for your interest and happy hunting.

Cheers

Glasgowgirl

Offline GF

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to break down a back wall in my family tree. I have been looking for the Anne or Annie daughter of Cornelius Young a miner from Whitletts. I have found Ann (Annie)'s  marriage and death registration but not her birth registration. I found no registrations for cornelius young apart from his birth in Kilmarnock. I looked on Scottish indexes website and found that Cornelius Young was the defendant in a Sheriff Court Paternity case in 1847, with Margaret Aird from Whitletts being the pursuer. A daughter was born in 1841 to them both. It looks like something happened to Margaret Aird as this daughter must have been brought up by her father as that's whose name appears both on the marriage and death registration. I have the court papers for this paternity case. I don't know if this is the same Margaret Aird you are looking for.
Kind regards
GF