Author Topic: Citizenship details in US Census 1900  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Mancunian194

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Citizenship details in US Census 1900
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help; I'll investigate this repeated immigration, which I would have thought quite an expensive thing to do.

My Robert is Robert Taylor, born on 19th July 1862 in Latheron, Caithness. His wife was Elizabeth Tosh Isabella Taylor, born 18th August 1866 in Leith. (Yes, same surname!)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Just in case you haven't come across this - FIND A GRAVE has an entry for the daughter
Euphemia Taylor Murdock 1898 - 1975 - husband Charles 1896 - 1942  and daughter Margaret 1926 - 1932

Her father Robert was also buried at this cemetery according to his death certificate in 1915

Burial Oakland Cemetery  Philadelphia Philadelphia County Pennsylvania, USA
Plot: Section K, Lot 232

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=157689428&PIpi=154905754

Grand-daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Taylor -  Euphemia Christine Murdock born 2 January 1918 Philadelphia passed away 10 July 2002

Last Residence 19149 Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Grand-daughter of Robert and Elizabeth  - Elsie Watson Murdock - born 24 March 1920 passed away 18 August 2006 - Last Residence 19095 Wyncote, Montgomery, Pennsylvania.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Mancunian194

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for that. I haven't really started tracing the US side of the tree so this is a useful starter.

Regards

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help; I'll investigate this repeated immigration, which I would have thought quite an expensive thing to do.

I have a friend who has ancestors who lived in California.  They were farmers and sailed to Portugal about once a year (for at least ten years).  Perhaps some people were able to save up money to be able to return to their native country for a visit(s)?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Mancunian194

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Well, there is the expression 'No such thing as a poor farmer'!

Can I ask where you found the attachment 'Euphemia Murdock.jpg'?

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
Sandra found it.  One of the places one can view it is on a "paysite".  I don't know if it can be found elsewhere.  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
For your future records.

The Philadelphia Inquirer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
 Wednesday, August 27, 1975 - Page 34

EUPHEMIA (nee Taylor), wife of the late Charles Murdock, of 6731 Lynford St. Relatives and friends are invited to viewing on Thurs. eve., 6 to 9 P.M., at THE LAMBIE FUNERAL HOME, Rhawn St. and Rowland Ave. Services and interment private.

========
Charles Murdock -obit (see attached)

The Philadelphia Inquirer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Tuesday, November 10, 1942 - Page 41

Offline Mancunian194

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 October 17 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

You wrote "Her father Robert was also buried at this cemetery according to his death certificate in 1915". Do you happen to have a copy of his death certificate that you could post here?

Thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 October 17 15:40 BST (UK) »
Robert Taylor - 21 December 1915

Sandra

Partial Copy

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada