Author Topic: HOWES look up request please  (Read 1161 times)

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HOWES look up request please
« on: Tuesday 03 October 17 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hello! I hope you are all well :)

I was wondering if I could have a look up request for more information on my grandmother's uncles and aunt on her father's side of the family. Even though a few were born in different places, my family has resided in Somerset for a while and I thought this was as good a place to start!

So far I have: My grandmother (June Barrett nee Howes) who was the daughter of PERCY HOWES (1908-1988). Percy had a brother called WILLIAM (my research has found him as William Sydney Cannon Howes who was born in 10th July 1900 in Herne Bay, Kent), another brother called ALF (I assume Alfred? I haven't got much information on him) and a sister called EVERHILDA MAUD HOWES (she was born about 1907 in Cardiff, married name is Oldman and she died around 1997/98). The parents are Sydney Dunning Howes and Annie Maria Allen.

In the 1911 census it says they lost a child. As there is a bit of an age difference between Will and Hilda, I would presume that is where their deceased child was born. Can anyone find out any information on this child? He/She was never talked about and I only recently realized when I gave the census a proper look.

I was wondering if anyone could give me more information on the birth and death of Alf (as he isn't on the 1911 census I guess he was born after) and the death of William for certain. I have about 1979 but my mother has questioned it.

Also, (sorry for this being so long!) I was told that one of my grandmother's uncles was placed in a prisoner of war camp in WW2. I believe it is William and I believe the camp was based in Burma? I am not sure where to start looking with that one, any help would be great!!

Also, if the name Elsie or Beryl come up in your searches, that would be useful too! Thank you so much

Ashford - Somerset, Bristol, Witham Friary

Barrett/Treeweek - Bristol, Somerset, Cornwall

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HOWES look up request please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi a possible for the one death prior to 1911 census is this:-

Birth Alexander Douglas Howes March qtr 1903 Reading v20 page 343 mmn Allen
Death Alexander Douglas Howes Sept qtr 1906 Pontypridd 11a 253 aged 3

Alf could be the Alfred Henry Howes March qtr 1915 Merthyr T 11a 1951 mmn Allen

William Sydney C Howes was born 10th July 1900 and died March qtr 1979 Merthyr Tydfil v27 page 0608
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi a possible for the one death prior to 1911 census is this:-

Birth Alexander Douglas Howes March qtr 1903 Reading v20 page 343 mmn Allen
Death Alexander Douglas Howes Sept qtr 1906 Pontypridd 11a 253 aged 3

Alf could be the Alfred Henry Howes March qtr 1915 Merthyr T 11a 1951 mmn Allen
Keyboard86

Great finds!

I’m leaning towards the Pontypridd one as Wales seems to be where they were at the time (knew I should have posted this in the Welsh part!) though is 6 years too long between having babies? Especially since they had 3 almost one after the other!

On the Alfred find, what does the number/or date ‘1951‘ refer to? Because he was living at least into the 60s, maybe even 70s.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 03:33 BST (UK) »
 :) That is the Volume and page number!
Keyboard86

PS see addition re William Sydney C?
PPS The first part for Alexander is his birth in Reading, the second part his death?

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 03:37 BST (UK) »
:) That is the Volume and page number!
Keyboard86

PS see addition re William Sydney C?

Thank you! I’ve been researching awhile but still the numbers can catch me off guard!

Hmmm, not sure about him being born in Reading. Though I suppose it could have been a pit stop before they got to Wales!

It does seem that he was born in 1900 and died in 1979. I wonder if this information will help out with my search for prisoner of war records

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi only a thought would William have been exempt from serving in the forces due to the fact he was a miner or in that type of work, and also his age?

Re an Elsie was that not the name of the daughter of William and his wife Margaret Lewis eg Elsie L Howes June qtr 1920 Merthyr T mmn Lewis?
Keyboard86

PS Re Alexander Douglas again, birth in Reading , too much of a coincidence with mothers maiden name Allen?

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hi only a thought would William have been exempt from serving in the forces due to the fact he was a miner or in that type of work, and also his age?

Re an Elsie was that not the name of the daughter of William and his wife Margaret Lewis eg Elsie L Howes June qtr 1920 Merthyr T mmn Lewis?
Keyboard86

PS Re Alexander Douglas again, birth in Reading , too much of a coincidence with mothers maiden name Allen?

Hello! Just woke my mother up (4am here) and she’s corrected me. It was Alfred who was a prisoner of war! My apologises! I was questioning it too because he would be in his 40s by then.

I suppose Allen is a common name but Allen and Howes together. Who also died young and in Pontypridd. They all seem to be pointing to the poor child I’ve been looking for.

As for Elsie - there is a photo of my Nana and her (born in 1929) and the age difference makes sense. She committed suicide in a painful way and was never spoken of again unfortunately. That’s a great find, thank you so much! Will see if it matches up with everything but so far, it all looks promising!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Elsie L Howes married Howard G Perry March qtr 1941 Pontypridd v11a page 1141 and her death is Elsie Lorraine Perry born 3rd April 1920 death March qtr 1974 Merthyr Tydfil v8B page 2313
Keyboard86

PS Re Beryl, there is a daughter born to Howard and Elsie in 1950?

Offline lrashford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Elsie L Howes married Howard G Perry March qtr 1941 Pontypridd v11a page 1141 and her death is Elsie Lorraine Perry born 3rd April 1920 death March qtr 1974 Merthyr Tydfil v8B page 2313
Keyboard86

PS Re Beryl, there is a daughter born to Howard and Elsie in 1950?

Must be the Beryl I’ve been told about! She used to play with my aunt who was born 4 years later.

Thank you so much for all your help, really kick started this part of my tree off again :)