Author Topic: Boone Lineage  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Rassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boone Lineage
« on: Tuesday 03 October 17 04:02 BST (UK) »
Since I have retired from teaching and caregiving my parents, I have started back on our family tree.

I am entering lots of new names (with sources) thanks to the web. But as I work on my tree, I am getting those hints from ancestry and family search.

My father’s mother was a Boone, descended from Israel Boone, Daniel’s older brother. We have always traced that line to the three Georges in England.

Now these hints are showing up - some are trees. And there are people tracing this line wayback to a De Bohun who fought with William the Conqueror and a David of Scotland. I question this, since I am not always seeing sources. Yet I will say my father’s DNA shows a link to Scotland and this will be the first time that country will be add to the family tree if it is added.

Does anyone have some information about the De Bohun, and the link to David of Scotland?

Thanks!

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boone Lineage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

I have to say there are an awful lot of generations back to the de Bohun family and David of Scotland.  And plenty of opportunities for other ancestors to have been born in Scotland before you potentially reach David of Scotland.  It is far better to work backwards from what you know to previous generations and back it up with evidence.  Trying to work your way forwards is fraught with pitfalls and not recommended.  There are other possible origins of the name and maybe not just from these islands

As far as the de Bohun link with David of Scotland is concerned, David of Scotland was the younger brother of William the Lion, King of Scots.  David was never king, but his various descendants had a fairly lively 'discussion' about who was the real claimant to the throne when William's line died out.

William & David's younger sister Margaret married Humphrey de Bohun ( d cir 1180).  They were ancestors (several generations and a couple of centuries) of Henry V's mother, Mary de Bohun.

Hope that helps.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boone Lineage
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 05:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Nell. That does.

My Boone line was in essence completed years ago. It is the maternal lines I need to work on. However, it has been years since I actually looked at the Boone. It certainly surprised me to see the additions