Author Topic: Gane and Knight in Harwich  (Read 2457 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gane and Knight in Harwich
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
Mark

Not sure I have said anywhere the children are KNIGHT.
They are all obviously Gane - as seen in the Harwich PRs - children of Thomas.

I knew it was confusing.....

Suzie

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
John,

Looking at that great marriage bond, if Ann was a minor, what age would she have been then.  Under 16? Or just under 21?

Suzie

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
She would have been under 21 years.
Download that marriage allegation, nothing on FamilySearch is guaranteed to be available to us at home forever!
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
Essex Standard, 27 July 1833
On Thursday week, Thomas Gane, sen., was arraigned, on a charge of smuggling, before Thomas Cobbold and George Graham, Esqrs., Justices of the Peace for the borough of Harwich, and being convicted in the penalty of 100l., was, from default of payment, committed to the borough gaol.

Might be a seaman's ticket for Thomas Gane junior

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Yes I was going mad!
The Ann Gane buried on 25.09.1826 was 38 years old, which would tie up with her being under 21 when she married.
I have gone through St Nicholas parish registers from 1825 and can not find a marriage for Thomas Gane and Catherine.

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
Just to confuse things further, in 1828, after Ann's death, a baptism in Burnham
Marianne Susannah
parents Thos + Ann Gane
abode Harwich
father a Mariner
born 24 Feb 1823

BT
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSLS-FMR?i=489&cc=1465710&cat=489171

But!
A burial at Burnham, 25 March 1832, of Thomas Gaine (as indexed FamilySearch) or Game (FreeReg), age 53

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 23:11 BST (UK) »
Two birth registrations
Dec 1837 Tendring 12 194
Gane, Edward Thomas
mother Thomas

June 1840 Tendring 12 249
Gane, Philip
mother Knight

as per 1841 census

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
John & Mark

Thank you for your emails of last evening.
I have downloaded that marriage bond proving that Ann's father was Robert Knight.
Interesting snippet from the Essex Standard. It could apply to either Thomas senior or his son, Thomas. I'll see what I can find in mariner's certificates.

The records you found at Burnham...well, looking at the map, I don't think they can be the same family. It's too far away from Harwich really.   The Tendring area is closer and those births are indeed to a Thomas Gane and Catherine Knight - but which Thomas is the big question. Yet a Thomas Gane married Catherine Knight in Ipswich which is further north!! 

Anyway, I think you all for your help and input. I'm going to have to put this all on my back burner for a few days as we're away on holiday at the weekend. I've certainly found new information and some ideas for further research yet the burning question remains and it may never ne answered.

Thank you all. Once again this site has proved immensely valuable and friendly as ever.
Suzie

Offline Plumpudding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 July 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
I have only just discovered this thread. These Gane mariners are my ancestors and I have been chasing them for well over 20 years.
My gt grandfather Philip Gane's birth certificate states he was born 31 May 1840 at Harwich, Essex, mother Catherine KNIGHT and father Thomas Gane, mariner (DECEASED). Unfortunately it was purchased in 1990 when photocopies of the originals were not given and I have known the registrars to make mistakes in copying the details or misread the original handwriting. However, I have never managed to locate Thomas's death, so I am not certain whether he died at sea, died abroad or simply left Catherine! Philip and older brother Edward Thomas b 1837 were both baptised at Harwich St Nicholas in 1843. but no mention was made of their father Thomas being deceased. In 1851 his mother stated that she was a widow, but interestingly Philip does not give his father's name on his marriage certificate in 1863, though in 1856 sister Isabella states her father's name as Thomas with no mention of 'deceased', but brother Edward Thomas states father Thomas 'deceased' when he married in 1865.

I have seen the original parish register entries for Thomas and Catherine's children and it is my research from 30 years ago which was displayed in the public trees, copied from Rootsweb without my knowledge and littered with place name errors as my Chapman's codes eg Mx for Middlesex were altered (became Mexico!) W Ham, Essex became West Hampshire, USA! However, I think most errors have now been rectified. Consequently none of the sources are noted.

Catherine Knight's age differed on successive censuses, but she stated her birthplace consistently as Harwich, the last census entry being for 1881 when she was at the Alms House in Harwich aged 71. However, her death has escaped me. She doesn't appear to have died, remarried or been posted under 'GAME', a common error and I have been unable to locate her baptism in Harwich either. (Some of the family were non-conformist) However, there is a possibility her father was Philip Knight, Ann's brother, in which case Thomas and Catherine were cousins..........

I finally tracked down Thomas Gane and Catherine Knight's marriage in Ipswich St Clements in 1830, where Philip Gane also married some years later, despite being born and living in Harwich. Mariners were far more mobile than the average population at this period and Ipswich was an important port, so I think this was the correct entry. It does state that Thomas was a widower (at age 19, if this is the correct Thomas b 1811) but I have not located a former marriage. However, as Thomas died before the 1841 census, it is difficult to be certain. I am still not certain that I have the right man.
However, I have recently had a DNA match with 2 descendants of what I believe to be 2 of Thomas junior's 8 siblings, William Lawe Gane and Eliza Gane, though the link could be via either the Gane or Knight side. However, Eliza gives her father's name (incorrectly, I believe) as Thomas Pool Gane, whom I think was her older brother, which suggests I am on the right lines.

I have the marriage licence for Thomas snr and Ann Knight, confirming her parentage and have linked Ann's youngest sister Sarah to Thomas and Ann's eldest son William Lawe Gane on the 1841 census and through Sarah's second husband's will. (Sarah's first husband was William Law)