Author Topic: Obtaining a Marriage Cert  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Horn8397

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Obtaining a Marriage Cert
« on: Tuesday 03 October 17 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to confirm that an ancestor married the lady I think he did.  The marriage was in 1825 in Trinidad, West Indies.  My ancestor was a sergeant serving in the 5th Battalion Royal Regt of Artillery.  I have found confirmation of his marriage in the GRO Chaplains Returns Marriages (1796 to 1880) but in the transcript the name of his spouse is left blank.  Where can I find the maiden name of his spouse?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining a Marriage Cert
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Who's marriage are you looking for? and

who do you think he might have married?

FindMyPAst isn't very user friendly trying to work out this type of overseas marriage.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Horn8397

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your very quick response.  The situation is that I have managed to confirm from my Gt Gt Grandfathers marriage & birth certs that his father was an Allen Hedley, but at the time of the marriage (1844) he was deceased. Also from my Gt Gt Grandfathers birth cert I know Allan Hedley was a Sergeant in the Royal Artillery in 1822.  In the 1851 census a Priscilla Hedley (aged 55) was living with my Gt Gt Grandfather aged 29.  The same document states that Pricilla Hedley was born in Oakhampton Devon, whereas Allen Hedley was born in Northumberland but was later based in Woolwich Kent.  The only marriage of an Allen Hedley I can find was married in Trinidad, West Indies in 1825 whilst serving in the Royal Artillery.  But as I said in my query his wifes name is not detailed.  My confusion is that if Priscilla did marry Allen Hedley what was she doing in Trinidad and why is she not named in the GRO Chaplains Marriages 1796 to 1880

Sorry to be so long winded but I am very new to this ancestry stuff and am often rather confused.  Any light or guidance you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi is this the same family from 1851 in 1841 census:-

Allen Hedley 60 Not born in County
Priscilla 45 Not born in County
William 15
Elizabeth 13
John 7
Residing at Bull Fields, Woolwich
Census Ref HO107/492/ 9/12 / 19
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't have thought this was him as the marriage took place in 1825 and he and his wife had already had 2 children by then born in Woolwich 1822 and 1823.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

There is a Priscilla with the same details as Allen in the GRO Chaplains Returns Marriages,

Pricilla HASWELL
Trinidad , West Indies
Page:  599

but I don't know if this is the only bride who fits without checking all the 1825 West Indies marriages, 535 of them on FindMyPast  :)

Unless he married two Priscilla's or couldn't marry her until later I agree with Annette that this marriage looks unlikely because of the children's births.

I don't know if you have seen it but there this record,

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8862944

Wo 23 - Royal Hospital Chelsea: Admission Books, Registers, And Papers 1702-1876

Serjeants
Regiments:  5th Batt
Allen HEDLEY
Date of Admission:  1 Aug 1825
Complaint or cause of discharge:  Worn Out
Where born:  Elsdon, Northumberland
Height:  5ft 7 1/2
Hair:  Brown
Eyes:  Blue
Complexion:  Fresh

There are some figures under the "Statement of Service", I think to do with pay, including some in the "West Indies" column.

A woman marrying in the West Indies could be the widow or daughter of another serviceman or just someone who lived there, sorry that's not very helpful in your search.

I looked at the 1851 census that you refer to and Priscilla doesn't have  "do    do" under her place of birth like the person above her for ditto , Okehampton, Devon, she just has two lines  -  -. so it isn't clear where she was born.

You could order the marriage cert. from the GRO to see if there are more details about the marriage, more info about that here,

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#Overseas

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Horn8397

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am really amazed how much information is coming in, you have all been extremely helpful. 

There is one point I am confused over and that is Annette7’s comment that Allen and Priscilla had 2 children before their marriage in 1825.  I used the 1841 Census that states they had 3 children aged 15, 13 and 7, so (depending where in the year they were born compared to the actual Census date) their birth years would be, 1826, 1828 & 1834 respectively.  Have I missed something being completely stupid? If I have I would not be the first time!

I have been a member of Ancestry for a while and I joined FindMyPast yesterday.  I struggled with finding the GRO Chaplains Returns info on Ancestry but I did find Allen Hedley’s and the page info number is 599, i.e. that same that DaisyPetal found.

I can confirm that the 1841 and 1851 census that keyboard86 queried do relate each other as William married Jane Hedley (nee Jefferies) on 26th May 1844 and William’s father Allen Hedley is named on it and recorded as deceased.  In fact he died in 1843.

I will now follow up the many avenues you have opened up for me.  I really appreciate your input.  I can only hope I will develop the investigatory skills you all have which enable you to find information so quickly.  I struggle for hours

Regards,
Horn8397

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again, yes I was confused with earlier births so looked for Hedley births 1822/5 can locate readily a Thomas Hedley 31st July 1823 St Andrews United Reformed Church, Woolwich Father Allan Mother Priscilla?

Looks to be a Corporal aged 27 in 1851
Census ref HO107/1588/400/33
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
From familysearch, it appears there was also a daughter Elizabeth born 16 Nov 1827 to Allan Hedley and Priscilla and baptized 13 Dec 1927 at Scots Church Woolwich Kent.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada