Author Topic: Look up request for birth date/place John Smith Father of Vere and Edward Smith  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request for birth date/place John Smith Father of Vere and Edward Smith
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 October 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi osprey,

It would be great to find further information on Vere Smith's (baptised 5 Oct 1726 in Caldicot) and brother Thomas Smith (baptised 13 Nov 1729 in Caldicot) parents Edward Smith and his wife and their mother (first name and surname unknown.  I would really welcome any help in finding their marriage. Thank you for all your help that you have given.

Many thanks

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request for birth date/place John Smith Father of Vere and Edward Smith
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
The parish of Caldicot came into being in 1716. Marriage could be in one of the surrounding parishes. Haven't spotted it as yet.

There was also a daughter called Anne who was buried 8 Oct 1731.

There's a burial in Caldicot 19 Nov 1734 of Mr Edward Smith of Tredegar. His will is on the NLW site where he is of the parish of Bassaleg, and names sons Thomas & Edward and wife Elizabeth. Don't think this is your Edward as no mention of Vere. Also, the Mr. implies someone of standing.

Another burial 29 Jan 1766 for an Edward Smith living at Roggiet. Again there is a will, mentions nephew Thomas and wife Martha. Edward Smith & Martha Jones both of Magor married by licence in 1759, so not yours.

I've looked in the transcriptions of records for the surrounding parishes with no success as yet. There was a Thomas Smith with wife Jennet in Portskewett who had at least one daughter who was buried in 1708, Jennett died 1710 and Thomas 1713.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 October 17 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi osprey,

I really appreciate your help in searching for Edward Smith and his wife, and eliminating these other Edward smiths' and other smith families in these nearby parishes that are not relevant or related to this family.  Also I appreciate the fact that you have taken time out of your own life to take the time to look for my Edward Smith and his wife. 

Thanks very much

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 November 17 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi osprey,

I was just wondering if you had found anything further on Edward Smith and his wife, really appreciate your help with this one.  Thanks Elizlloyd

The parish of Caldicot came into being in 1716. Marriage could be in one of the surrounding parishes. Haven't spotted it as yet.

There's a burial in Caldicot 19 Nov 1734 of Mr Edward Smith of Tredegar. His will is on the NLW site where he is of the parish of Bassaleg, and names sons Thomas & Edward and wife Elizabeth. Don't think this is your Edward as no mention of Vere. Also, the Mr. implies someone of standing.

Another burial 29 Jan 1766 for an Edward Smith living at Roggiet. Again there is a will, mentions nephew Thomas and wife Martha. Edward Smith & Martha Jones both of Magor married by licence in 1759, so not yours.

I've looked in the transcriptions of records for the surrounding parishes with no success as yet. There was a Thomas Smith with wife Jennet in Portskewett who had at least one daughter who was buried in 1708, Jennett died 1710 and Thomas 1713.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 November 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
nothing further. There are transcriptions of many of the parish records on DustyDocs

http://www.dustydocs.com/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks osprey for the Dusty Docs link, and will look at this site to see if I can bring up any information on Edward Smith and his marriage.  Appreciate this link.

Thanks

Elizlloyd

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 October 18 20:39 GMT (UK) »
osprey

Hello just to say I have found the Will (on The National Libray of Wales site) for Edward Smith (occupation Yeoman) buried 1734 Caldicot and mentions his wife Elizabeth (surname unknown) I would like to know their marriage details and her maiden name if you can help, he was from the parish of Bassaleg and in the Will he mentions a son Vere Smith baptised 1726 first then a son Thomas Smith baptised 1729 and a son Edward Smith.  Also to mention as Ann Smith his daughter was buried in 1731 in Caldicot there was no mention of her in the Will. 

My family line I have now connected up with this Thomas Smith Baptised 1729, so am glad to find Edward Smith his father of Bassaleg.

I am keen to find out more about Edward Smith of Bassaleg and when he was born and find out more about his occupation as a Yeoman in Bassaleg would be good to know.

Thanks

Elizlloyd

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 October 18 22:19 GMT (UK) »
still no sign of the marriage in Monmouthshire or a baptism for Edward. Bassaleg parish registers date from 1742, there are Bishops Transcripts for 1725-31 at the NLW but not available online.

There is a marriage that could be a coincidence in St Mary Redcliffe for Edward Smith and Elizabeth Harbert/Herbert

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NFKJ-2LH

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
osprey

Thank you for your reply and marriage for a Edward Smith and Elizabeth Harbert/Herbert. Im guessing St Mary Redcliffe is Elizabeth Harbert/Herbert's parish.

On the Will for Edward Smith it says he was originally from the parish of Tredegar (so I am going to find out more about Tredegar and the Smith family there)  but was living in Bassaleg at the time of  his Will.

I have found the information below about Elizabeth Herbert daughter of Vere Herbert and so far this is the only information / document i have found which includes her name ..its from Gwent Archives..
Sudbrook Deeds and Documents, etc. 1573-1845 GB0218.D1317 So I am wondering if this Elizabeth Herbert is the same one as in St Mary Redcliffe the marriage to Edward Smith which you have found if it is that would be really good news.  Also I have been trying to find out did the Elizabeth Herbert below own Caldicot Court and Court Farm.

D1317/3 (DOCUMENT NOT DEPOSITED. DESCRIPTION ONLY.) COUNTERPART FEOFFMENT. 1. Vere Herbert of Caldicot, esq., and Margaret his wife. 2. William Herbert of Caldicott, gent., s. and h. to Vere Herbert. In consideration of the natural love and affection which the first part bears to the second and £100 which William Herbert promises to pay to Elizabeth Herbert, sister of William and daughter of Vere and Margaret within the space of 3 months and a yearly rent of £30 p.a. which Wm. Herbert undertakes to pay Vere Herbert during his natural life without any deducton and £20 of like money unto Margaret. Mess. or farm called Caldicot Court and all lands and tenements thereto belonging, pars. Caldicot, Ifton, Magor and Roggiet, now in the possession of Vere Herbert, also several mess. lands and premises in the several possessions of William Hutton, George Bowler, Thomas Giles, John Saunders and Daniel Boole with all lands and tenements belonging situated pars. Caldicot, Magor, Ifton and Rogiett and also of him Wm. Herbert permitting and suffering the said Vere Herbert and Margaret his wife from time to time and at all times the chamber in the said dwelling house called Caldicott House with good sufficient furniture in lodging and otherwise there at all times as they shall see convenient to make use thereof. Also stocks of cattle, horses, goods and implements in husbandry upon the said Caldicot farm as well within doors as without. 27 Dec 1723

Thanks

Elizlloyd