Author Topic: Hexham and Morpeth RC parish registers lookup, Costello  (Read 918 times)

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hexham and Morpeth RC parish registers lookup, Costello
« on: Tuesday 03 October 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hello

It is difficult for me to get to Woodhorn unfortunately.  Can anyone please lookup these RC baptisms for me? They are:-

1846, Catherine Costello/Costoly
1849, Anthony Costello/Costoly
1850, John Costello/Costoly

The parents were Anthony Costello and Mary Cunningham.  The first two births were registered under Hexham, the last one under Morpeth, although he was born in Kirkwhelpington so the baptism may be under Hexham.  All were registered in the April, May, June quarter.

I am interested in the sponsor/godparent names and any placenames or sidenotes.

Thank you

Steve

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Hexham and Morpeth RC parish registers lookup, Costello
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
Ordinarily I would offer as I'm usually at Woodhorn every week but I've just had a new hip and won't be driving for at least another two weeks and possibly a week or so more before I want to face the long walk from the car park to the search room  :-\

If you haven't got your info by the end of the month send me a pm to remind me and I will look for you

Christine

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you. No hurry for it. I will see if I can get a lift up there sometime.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 November 17 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry it's taken so long and I’m afraid I have no good news for you.

Obviously the registration districts are much wider in area than the town with which they share their names but I think I have tried most RC churches in each area.

For Hexham church I checked the index of names but neither appeared.  I also looked at the records for Cheeseburn Grange and Swinburn without luck.  The other RC churches in that area had records which ended before 1840 or the church didn’t open until after 1850.

Likewise Morpeth – nothing in St. Robert’s.  Bedlington did not open until 1875 and Blyth in 1862 so neither of them were of use.  I did, however see both Costello and Currin in Bedlington records so the family may have been there earlier.  That led me to hope they were baptised at Cowpen but, wouldn’t you know, there is a gap in the records from 1820 to the end of 1855!!

If anyone can think of an RC church I have missed please say otherwise I have no idea where else to look.

Christine

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
No problem.  Thank you for having a look for me.

Offline David paul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 May 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
I am researching the same family on my research I’ve found this family Anthony and Mary in Ayrshire at some point don’t have the details at hand .John Costello is where my line fit in I will have a look but if I remember right John is born in Scotland and sister Mary Scotland as well Mary goes on to marry a gaffney and yes your right Costello/costly surnames .