Author Topic: Are there any genealogy boards that are specifically Australian?  (Read 907 times)

Offline pgs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are there any genealogy boards that are specifically Australian?
« on: Tuesday 03 October 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Australian birth records for living persons. Is there any place to access that information?  Is there any other place other than white pages.com to find a living person in Australia? I have tried Google and Facebook.
Also, is there any place to get a marriage record from about 1948 in South Australia?
Thanks for any help.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any genealogy boards that are specifically Australian?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi pgs

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I don't think the information you are looking for is publically available as the Australian Authorities take personal privacy and security very seriously.

Have you looked at our Resources section as to date ranges of what is available by state?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
Depending when they were born there may be a birth notice on Trove:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/?q=

How do you know they are still living?

Also, try Ryerson for death notices:

http://ryersonindex.org/search.php

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi pgs
Rootschat is about seeking ancestors, but that search can lead one forward to locating living people through the process of record searching.

This is fine, as long as the names of living are not put on the public board.  The Private Message system is available for such private exchanges.

The forum, especially in Australia, as has been stated, does not permit the public discussion of living people.

It is possible   that by starting "further back" in your family of interest some answers to your queries might come to light.

For instance

If you have evidence they are deceased -

Who were the parents of your person?
Where did they live?

If, on the other hand, all you have is the name of a living person, this forum will not be able to help you.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
Also, is there any place to get a marriage record from about 1948 in South Australia

At the moment the marriage index in South Australia only extends to 1938 however I understand records to 1942 may be available at SAGenealogy in the near future. 

If you would like to PM [personal message] the name of your person of interest I will have a search of my own resources.  You will need to make two more posts before you can send pm's. 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi pgs,

Welcome to Rootschat,  it's the best online place for help with your family history.   

You write that you are looking for Australian birth records for living people.   Australia is a federation, so each of its six states and two territories have their own separate legislative authority.  So each of those jurisdictions have their own parliaments.  Among other responsibilities each parliament determines their own rules and regulations for the BDM registrations within their own jurisdictions.  There is no central Births, Deaths, Marriages registration process.  Depending on which jurisdiction depends on what access is available to members of the general public for BDM records. 

For example, I am in New South Wales, born here, married here, and not yet dead.   My birth was registered, so too my marriage.  Yet, members of the general public cannot gain access to the registration of either of those two events, simply because the NSW laws restricts/limits access to the BDM registrations.   I can have confidence that my birth certificate can be used by me for ID for my Australian passport, and so too my marriage certificate as it is proof of my change of name.   :)

Access is not available to the general public if
the NSW birth was less than 100 years ago
the NSW marriage was less than 50 years ago
the NSW death was less than 30 years ago

Here's a live link to a sheet with summary info for each of the jurisdictions. 
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

This thread dates from 2006:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368744.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pgs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all about the information available and regulations in Australia.  I was able to get a marriage announcement on the trove.nla.gove web site, which is a site I did not know existed before.  That was good luck.  My relative died in 2007, so I guess it is much too soon to be able to access a death certificate for him.  I know he had a son and a daughter, but all I have are their names, and they are fairly common names, so I don't think I will be able to find them.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
If you know where they may live/have lived, you may be able to find them on an electoral roll.

Ancestry has them up till about 1980, I believe, but the respective state libraries have them to a much later date.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
In which state did your relative die? 

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk