Author Topic: Thomas Heywood 1779 Winkleigh Devon - 1826 Crayford Kent  (Read 2576 times)

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Heywood 1779 Winkleigh Devon - 1826 Crayford Kent
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
The Thomas  Heywood of Plymouth who died 1808 only had the 3 surviving children that I am aware of. Thomas who married Mary Sophia Gyles . Sarah who married John Yalland and Mary who married Arthur Burnett. They  ( Sarah and Mary) both stayed in Plymouth. I am currently in contact with descendants from both branchs who are helping me out with their research.
Thomas Snr named his first two boys William and  brother William named his eldest  son William as well.
I am under the impression that there are no baptism records for Geenwich for the time period 1786 (Mary Cox) to 1792 (Ellen Smith) to 1810. As neither Joseph nor Ellen make mention of children in their wills, if there were any, they did not survive.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
 ;D Random thinking confusing Tilt and Tilley in my memory.

Sarah Tilley nee Hayward was born c1790 Southgate Middlesex. In 1851 there is a Mary Ann Hayward aged 22 from Hackney Middlesex visiting them. Charlotte went on to marry Samuel Mason who carried on the family business of fire engine making on Blackfriars Rd.
Mary Sophia Heywood nee Gyles was also from Blackfriars Rd

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
At last! A bit of time to continue with this. 

Re your question about the Joseph Heywood who married Sarah Gardner, I'm afraid we differ on this one.

I read the will of Joseph Heywood 1810 as "unto my nieces Ann Smith and Mary Heywood daughters of my late brother Thomas Heywood"  He also lists a Joseph Heywood among his nephews, as well as Thomas son of brother Thomas.

Ann Smith, who was Ann Heywood then became Ann Sharp, mentions in her will her nephew Joseph Heywood Wright.  He was the son of Richard Wright and Elizabeth Heywood.  So Ann and Elizabeth were probably sisters.

Also in Ann Sharp's will she mentions "Mrs. Sarah Heywood the widow of my late brother Joseph Heywood"

This doesn't explain the mention of Mary and no mention of Elizabeth.  But I'm inclined to think that brother Thomas didn't die 1808 in Devon, but elsewhere, and had children Thomas, Joseph, Ann and Elizabeth and, maybe, Mary.  Gulp.  (I often think I'm right when I'm wrong  :-X)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
I found the Draper's Livery record for William Heywood for 1785.  It has been left off Ancestry but is on the Livery Company Records online.   Unfortunately, nothing informative on there.  No mention of his father.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:00 BST (UK) »
No he bought his way in.ie first generation. Same as Joseph bought his Degree from Aberdeen for 14 pounds. Had been transcribed as James but the archivist was nice enough to check the original record and it was Jas/Jos. Freedom of London records are missing from that time as well. All very frustrating. I have "William assumed" on my tree based nothing more than  on the naming patterns of the first grandchildren.

I had not picked up on Ann Smith being daughter of Thomas Heywood, which has me stumped. ???
Have to admit that  at the time I wrote off what I could not decipher as being probably wives Mary and Ellen's nieces and nephews

Thomas Snr married Anne Davie in Culmleigh Devon in 1769, then had 5 childen in Winkleigh Devon 1770 to 1779. Thomas, Sarah and Mary get a mention in Joseph's will from memory. Going into town this morning to have another look ar Josephs will to recheck out those names of nieces and nephews and get a fresh digital copy. Previous went with an irretievable dead computer. Also to clap my own  eyes on Ann Sharp will..
An hours drive and it is raining again.
House cleaning was in vain, they are staying for a few more days to help finish getting in their Mothers next winters wood.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
I noticed you mentioned Ferdinand Hodgson in an earlier post.  Have you worked him out now?

If not, Maria Sophia Heywood had a sister, Elizabeth Gyles, who married Robert Dalby at Southwark in 1809.  Their daughter, Sarah, married Ferdinand Hodgson in 1829 at Lambeth.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. No had not worked out where he fitted in. You are solving lots of mysteries for me ;D
Had seen the entry but only noticed it due to the name Dalby which appears in another branch of mine from Lancashire. Totally unrelated to this time period.
I have mentioned else where, how apparently, Joseph Martin Heywood was horrified when his eldest NZ born daughter married someone from Liverpool. Heck what did he expect. We were meant to be the brave new social experiment in the South Pacific.

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
OPPS missed one of your posts.   Blimey. 1808 may not be mine.   Oh heck to say the least

What.    I wrote Thomas , how did predictive turn it into Blimey
 Have these devices started reading minds.

I never say Blimey. Forgive  me please, but it is too British

Offline KiwiHugh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 October 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
Am off to town so will be off line for a while.