Author Topic: CONACHER, Augusta born 6 June 1864 Ballarat, Vic. Australia  (Read 1024 times)

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
CONACHER, Augusta born 6 June 1864 Ballarat, Vic. Australia
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching this lady as she married into my cousin's family.
To date I have not had much success in finding much about her.
She had a long term relationship with William ANDERSON and they eventually married in 1929 when his wife re-married.  (She was still married to him at the time....)
At the time of their marriage he was 78 and she was 65.
On 9 April 1930, shortly after their marriage, William died while living at 9 Arthur St Manly NSW. His widow Augusta died 11 May 1948 aged 83 while residing at 113 Addison St Elwood Victoria Australia.
In his WILL he leaves everything to her.
I have one TROVE article The Argus, Melbourne dated Fri 7 Jul 1882 where a female named Augusta Conacher aged 18 was brought up and charged with vagrancy, but while the father is mentioned in the article his name is not so I can't be sure it relates to "our" lady - her age is right. 
If anyone has information on Augusta CONACHER or Augusta ANDERSON I would love to hear from you.
Researching:
BEST, BRAME, KNIGHT, LEWIS, McSHEEHY, O'NEIL, SCHUETZE & WILKE

http://www.kirchneryoungtreeoflife.bndon.com
Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CONACHER, Augusta born 6 June 1864 Ballarat, Vic. Australia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
Augusta was the third child's birth registered to Charles CONACHER and Ann LLOYD in Victoria.

You can search the Victorian BDM's online
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

I would suggest that the Augusta  CONACHER you found on TROVE is your person of interest.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 08:17 BST (UK) »
Was mentioned as Mrs W ANDERSON in her father's death notice in 1916
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article89770084

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Unless she did something newsworthy I don't know what you else you expect to find.

Very little about the CONACHER's in Victoria. 

Possibly her father.

CONACHER Charles  38 years  Born Scotland  Living Melbourne
Hospital admission  21 May 1874
He was married and his occupation was a lithographer.
Patients in the Melbourne Hospital 1855-1909: an index of the surviving medical ward book, case notes.
Comment  Doctor Garrard

Her death notice which you may have
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article22545089

and there is a probate file at PROV
https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

Cando

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks cando for taking the time to reply with those snippets re Augusta.
What I have been hoping to find is something about how she came into contact with William Anderson.
His background is complicated and she is one of the complications :-)
I have just gone through the names of the various families and hopefully may have found a more recent connection that could be of some help.
Waiting to hear back from someone with a wiki tree, so fingers crossed :-)
Once again, thanks for your interest and advice.
Researching:

Researching:
BAGGALEY, BARTHOLOMEW, BOYD, CLIFTON, GALLAGHER, GEERTZ, HARBER, HARBOUR, KIRCHNER, McDONALD, MEAD, PETER, TAYLOR, YOUNG

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
What was Wm's occupation?  Can you tell us anything about him at all?

Cando

Offline mead researcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again Cando
Writing clerk/accountant/retired clerk
12 years Vic - 44 years NSW
His life is as I said, complicated.
1851 - born St Peter’s Port, Guernsey, Channel Island (parents Alexander ANDERSON & Mary Ann nee TAYLOR)
1861- UK Census Boardng School Hove, Brighton, England age 9
1871 – UK Census St Loretto Place, St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands age 18
1873 – resided Redfern, sydney
1873 – occupation writing clerk
1873 – married in Sydney to ANDERSON, Emily Augusta Wood age 22
(Her father’s surname was ANDERSON)

The lady he married was his first cousin
They were married by Rev James Fullerton who was known for not asking questions - marriages often included people who were possibly under age , bigamous or elopements.

Until I began the research it was believed William was the father of Crawford Eric Leslie ANDERSON & 4 other children.
It turned out after much research that William does not appear to have fathered any of the children.
Maybe because they were cousins, or he was unable - we'll ever know.
The father of the children, including Crawford Eric Leslie ANDERSON, is almost certainly believed to have been Crawford ALLEN.
The children's mother, William's cousin, Emily Augusta Wood ANDERSON upon marriage to William, became Emily Augusta Wood Anderson ANDERSON.  She never married Crawford ALLEN.
In 1898 (while still married to William ANDERSON) she married Charles Durham SCATES.
Following her death in 1928 - her husband William ANDERSON married (in 1929) Augusta CONACHER.

Certainly a tangled web.....

Apart from the Trove article re vagrancy charge and the fact that Augusta commissioned 2 stained glass windows in St Matthews Anglican Church, Manly, NSW one of which is dedicated to her husband William, and the various Trove entries regarding family members that include her name - nothing is known.

How and where did they meet...?  I guess we'll never know :-(

Researching:

Researching:

Offline Wtree

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I have read with interest the cryptic family connections for Emily Augusta Anderson.

There is a William Anderson who was ordained as a C of E church minister at Goulburn in 1877 and then worked in the area until 1881 in Goulburn, Tarago and Windellama, and then apparently moved to Sydney.

He is mentioned as an executor in the will of Alexander Anderson banker of London (27 June 1810 London to 23 Jan 1874 St Peters Port Guernsey). Initially the main executor was Alexander's son Alexander (8 May 1833 London to 30 Sep 1879 Walwork Cottage Redfern NSW), however as he had died in 1879 the executor role appeared to move to William. I am trying to work out if this William was Alexander's (d1879) brother.

The William Anderson who married his cousin Emily Augusta Anderson in Sydney in 1873 is not mentioned as being a church minister when he died at Manly in 1930, however I wonder if this is the same person.

I descend from Alexander Anderson (died Udol Cromarty in 1809) and his daughter Emily who married Dr John Johnson who was the early colonial surgeon in New Zealand and had sons who were Gold Commissioners in the Bathurst District.

Offline Jasper2021

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 October 21 02:06 BST (UK) »
I have read with interest the cryptic family connections for Emily Augusta Anderson.

There is a William Anderson who was ordained as a C of E church minister at Goulburn in 1877 and then worked in the area until 1881 in Goulburn, Tarago and Windellama, and then apparently moved to Sydney.

He is mentioned as an executor in the will of Alexander Anderson banker of London (27 June 1810 London to 23 Jan 1874 St Peters Port Guernsey). Initially the main executor was Alexander's son Alexander (8 May 1833 London to 30 Sep 1879 Walwork Cottage Redfern NSW), however as he had died in 1879 the executor role appeared to move to William. I am trying to work out if this William was Alexander's (d1879) brother.

The William Anderson who married his cousin Emily Augusta Anderson in Sydney in 1873 is not mentioned as being a church minister when he died at Manly in 1930, however I wonder if this is the same person.

I descend from Alexander Anderson (died Udol Cromarty in 1809) and his daughter Emily who married Dr John Johnson who was the early colonial surgeon in New Zealand and had sons who were Gold Commissioners in the Bathurst District.

Hi Wtree.  I am a great-great-granddaughter of Emily Augusta Anderson and (supposedly) William Anderson.  I'm wondering if you have had a DNA test on Ancestry?  It would be interesting to see if we are a match - might eliminate William Anderson completely if we aren't?