Author Topic: Donovan Harold Clibborn  (Read 578 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donovan Harold Clibborn
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
    I am searching for information on D H Clibborn, born 1917 - died 1996. According to his obituary he was Foreign Office in Genoa until the start of the war, then an intelligence officer who served at Bletchley Park, transferred at some point to North Africa where he liaised with the Long Range Desert Group, went on to Sicily and then Italy with Montgomery and ended the war at the surrender of Brussels. He finished the war as a major.

I have found him in the London Gazette of 14th Jan. 1941, heading "Intelligence Corps": The undermentioned Cadets, from Sandhurst and 162nd O.T.C.U.'s to be 2nd Lts. 21st Dec. 1940.... Donovan Harold Clibborn (162736)

I would be very grateful if anyone can help me put some firm dates, etc. on his war activities.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donovan Harold Clibborn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
His service record will still be with the Ministry of Defence and can, subject to condions, be applied (and paid) for:
process here https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

He transferred from the Int Corps to the Royal Signals in 1943 (LG 4 May 1943) and received a Mention in Despatches "for gallant and distinguished services  in the Middle East" in 1943 (LG 14 Oct 43).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Donovan Harold Clibborn
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I missed that LG entry.