Author Topic: FTM 11 Won't Open  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
FTM 11 Won't Open
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
It says it wasn't closed properly and I need to go to " Tools "      ....?  I've had this before and believe the solution was dead simple, once someone told me how. Please help, if ye can.

Thankyou.
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 11 Won't Open
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Forget this. Seems Ancesspit have well and truly shafted us. They've simply killed all pre existing versions of FTM. Now, we buy 2017 or we're finished. Best sales technique since Microsoft  >:(

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Oh no...I too have that version...i must start loading up the info onto discs as I won't be bullied into buying a replacement when the version I have suits my needs. I just recently had to update Photoshop as Win.10 updates broke my existing version...how many more ways can these big organisations find to pick a man's pocket  :(
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Exactly, Carol! One minute, happily working away on my tree. Next? Gun to my head. 'Give us $80 or forget ye tree!'  :o

Do what ye like. But, they've pulled the plugs at HQ. Taken a leaf from Micky softs book.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
It feels like we are being controlled...sick and tired of getting the pop to Microsoft Edge's browser that I neither like nor want and it won't always connect to Google giving me the broken link icon...I think I will take up Morris Dancing instead...cheap and cheerful and there is only one person ringing my bells  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline waltonp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 October 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Have you tried starting ftm - then open the file - go to tools and compact file - should be ok then.

Antree no longer have anything to do with FTM all up to Mckiev now.

peter
Walton,Murray,Crockett, McCabe,Rowson,Stock

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 October 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
Peter; I tried Everything.

Then I web chatted to Ancesspit. They had me try everything. Finally saying, a little sharply, that all they could suggest was that I reload the whole shebang. Or buy 2017.

Next day, on a hunch, I went back and got another person. But, they sussed I'd talked to someone else the day before. This bloke humored me for a bit. Then he said; " Look. This explains it better than any words I have could. "

And he sent me to the link explaining that 2017 was now the only way. That they'd pulled the plugs on earlier versions. Give us ye money or go away.

I went.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 22:43 BST (UK) »
Well, following a Lot of advice and guidance from Ray G, on here; I've got my stuff on the free version of Legacy now. Thanks, Ray  :)

Just the bare bones, of course, I can't be bothered to reload thousands of media files. And I'm only really interested in tying up a couple of loose ends now anyway. I'm the last of my line and no one else will be interested. All my cert's will go in a skip, when I'm gone.

Big thanks to ancestry.co.uk for robbing me of fifteen years of hard work and ŁK's of material, in the blink of a corporate eye too. Just for pure greed.

Remember that, people. Before ye consider clicking to hand them Your money.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
From what I understood, you can still use earlier versions of FTM, the only thing is that they wont now sync with Ancestry unless you have FTM 2017.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk