Author Topic: Thomas Drysdale - Mariner  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Drysdale - Mariner
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
My 4x great-grandfather Thomas Drysdale was born on 7th October 1774 to Thomas Drysdale and Jean Pitbladdoch in Inverkeithing. Thomas married Jane Millar in July 1804 also in Inverkeithing. Having searched ScotlandsPeople, I am struggling to find a death certificate for him. His wife Jane died in 1857 and it says she was a widow at the time. The only other information I know is that he was a mariner so it is possible he didn't pass away in Scotland, but of course I'd love to find out more if I can! :-D

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Drysdale - Mariner
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Did you find either of them in the 1851 census?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Is that Jane/Jean Drysdale with the Masterton family on the 1841/1851 Census(FreeCEN) ?

If so she is widowed in 1851 , no sign of Thomas in 1841.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Lauren Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Is that Jane/Jean Drysdale with the Masterton family on the 1841/1851 Census(FreeCEN) ?

If so she is widowed in 1851 , no sign of Thomas in 1841.

ev

I have checked and yes, that is definitely her! I am related to her through the Mastertons. Her daughter, Jane, married Adam Masterton.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
My 4x great-grandfather Thomas Drysdale was born on 7th October 1774 .... I am struggling to find a death certificate for him.
If he was born in 1774, there is almost certainly no death certificate, because death certificates did not exist until the start of civil registration in 1855, and most people didn't live into their 80s.

You might find a gravestone. I think the Fife Family History Society has an index of all recorded stones in Fife.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.