Author Topic: John Austen 1418-1471  (Read 6333 times)

Offline Foxy234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Austen 1418-1471
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 17:29 BST (UK) »
Please would anyone be able to provide any information on John Austen (possibly Sir) born 1418 in Wingham, Kent d 1471, I believe he married Isabel Willoughby around 1449. I have setup a family tree and have traced a line of Austens up to Elizabeth Austen b 1642 Wye, Kent who married John Kennit (b 1620) in 1664 but wasn't sure if I have traced correctly ?

Any help would be much appreciated  :)

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Austen 1418-1471
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
I have Austen/in in my tree most of mine come from around Alkham Kent. Do you have any in your tree from that area. Unfortunately I have not got that far back with my line yet.
regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
Just read your question re John Austin  ... I have just come across the same anomaly in my research!

On my Mother's Grandfather's side of the family, I have 'documented' links to Matthew Austin b 1562, and I am happy with the research back to a Henry Austen b 1330.

However, I am unsure about John Austen (of Wingham, Kent) being married to a 'posh' lady, Isabel Willoughby (of Woollaton, Notts). This does not seem likely, given the class and geographical divide!

Most sources have Isabel married to a Philip Boteler (of Wootton Woodhall, which I believe was a manor house in Watton by Stone, Herts). However, Geni sugggests that this was a second marriage or that Austen was Isabel's maiden name, which excludes her being a Willougby. Also, there seems to be a link provided in Family Search, Pedigree Resource Files, in three separate names, all of which have John married to Isabel Willoughby, although they may all have copied one of the others!

All very sad, because if it was Isabel Willougby then via links with the Freville family take us back to Henry 1 and William the Conqeror.

The only way of positively disproving the marriage would be if there was a definitive record of John marrying a different Isabel.

Not sure this helps, but I would be interested in where you are in the Austen family tree. I get there via, Hawkins, Hubbard, Curtis, Lewis and Henry Nash who married Mary Austen b 1688.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 October 17 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Just seen this whilst I was posting something else and got very excited. Elizabeth Austen and John Kennett/Kenitt are my direct ancestors. I have a lot of info on the Austens in Wye and Adisham as they are also connected to my Denne and Nethersole ancestors.

I'll post more details tomorrow but I'd love to hear more from others.

matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 October 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
Just read your question re John Austin  ... I have just come across the same anomaly in my research!

On my Mother's Grandfather's side of the family, I have 'documented' links to Matthew Austin b 1562, and I am happy with the research back to a Henry Austen b 1330.

However, I am unsure about John Austen (of Wingham, Kent) being married to a 'posh' lady, Isabel Willoughby (of Woollaton, Notts). This does not seem likely, given the class and geographical divide!

Most sources have Isabel married to a Philip Boteler (of Wootton Woodhall, which I believe was a manor house in Watton by Stone, Herts). However, Geni sugggests that this was a second marriage or that Austen was Isabel's maiden name, which excludes her being a Willougby. Also, there seems to be a link provided in Family Search, Pedigree Resource Files, in three separate names, all of which have John married to Isabel Willoughby, although they may all have copied one of the others!

All very sad, because if it was Isabel Willougby then via links with the Freville family take us back to Henry 1 and William the Conqeror.

The only way of positively disproving the marriage would be if there was a definitive record of John marrying a different Isabel.

Not sure this helps, but I would be interested in where you are in the Austen family tree. I get there via, Hawkins, Hubbard, Curtis, Lewis and Henry Nash who married Mary Austen b 1688.

Hiya

I think I might be able to solve the problem here. I think the Austens in Wingham are related to the Austens of Adisham who were related to my Nethersole ancestors in Adisham and Kingstone.

Interestingly the Austens in Adisham appear to have a connection to Wye as well as I have found references to Wye in their Wills. There is also a connection between my Gibb ancestors from Wye and the Austens in Adisham.

I don't know about the line back to 1330 as the earliest I've got with the Austens is about 1500 but I'd say that I'm not back beyond 1580 with certainty. I will go through my notes tomorrow and update you.

The problem for me is that the Austens appear to be connected with so many branches of my Kent ancestors: the Gibbs, the Kennetts (related by marriage to the Gibbs too!), the Nethersoles, the Dennes, and others.

It's a good job they left so many detailed Wills!

Update to follow soon....

Matt

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 October 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
There is a will of Richard Austyn, of Wingham, made in 1464.
PRC/17/1/98a

Also one of Thomas Austen, of Preston next Wingham, probate 1471.
PRC/33/56

And Robert Austen, of Wickhambreaux, made and probate 1487
PRC/17/4/133a

https://wills.canterbury-cathedral.org
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 00:28 BST (UK) »
There is a will of Richard Austyn, of Wingham, made in 1464.
PRC/17/1/98a

Also one of Thomas Austen, of Preston next Wingham, probate 1471.
PRC/33/56

And Robert Austen, of Wickhambreaux, made and probate 1487
PRC/17/4/133a

https://wills.canterbury-cathedral.org

Thanks for those I will add these to my list of Austen Wills. I also know there is a 1483 Will for Joane Austen of Adisham however I haven't looked at this yet.

More to follow.

matt

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

I also share the Dennes, as I have Richard Austin b 1512 married to Agnes Denne b 1518.

I have uncorroborated links back to Robert Deene b circa 1000, in a reasonable chain ie no serious anomalies.

Regards, John