Author Topic: John Austen 1418-1471  (Read 6331 times)

Offline Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Austen 1418-1471
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
The Visitation of Kent 1619 takes the Denne family back to the time of King John. Before that, and especially pre-Conquest, I would be more sceptical.

https://archive.org/stream/visitationofkent00camd#page/98/mode/2up
Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

I also share the Dennes, as I have Richard Austin b 1512 married to Agnes Denne b 1518.

I have uncorroborated links back to Robert Deene b circa 1000, in a reasonable chain ie no serious anomalies.

Regards, John

Hi John

Richard Austen and Agnes Denne feature in my tree, Agnes is the sister of my ancestor.

I don't have my notes on these families to hand so I will update this post later.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 22:01 BST (UK) »
The Visitation of Kent 1619 takes the Denne family back to the time of King John. Before that, and especially pre-Conquest, I would be more sceptical.

https://archive.org/stream/visitationofkent00camd#page/98/mode/2up

I have a copy of this and agree with you about being sceptical about any line prior to this. I have some notes which claim the line goes back further, but the further back I go the more evidence I like to get - and as you can probably guess, the further back I go the harder it is to find it.

The earliest I am convinced of is Walter Denne (Walterus de Denne) [29 Hen 3], although I have not had any reason to doubt his parentage either.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Just read your question re John Austin  ... I have just come across the same anomaly in my research!

On my Mother's Grandfather's side of the family, I have 'documented' links to Matthew Austin b 1562, and I am happy with the research back to a Henry Austen b 1330.

However, I am unsure about John Austen (of Wingham, Kent) being married to a 'posh' lady, Isabel Willoughby (of Woollaton, Notts). This does not seem likely, given the class and geographical divide!

Most sources have Isabel married to a Philip Boteler (of Wootton Woodhall, which I believe was a manor house in Watton by Stone, Herts). However, Geni sugggests that this was a second marriage or that Austen was Isabel's maiden name, which excludes her being a Willougby. Also, there seems to be a link provided in Family Search, Pedigree Resource Files, in three separate names, all of which have John married to Isabel Willoughby, although they may all have copied one of the others!

All very sad, because if it was Isabel Willougby then via links with the Freville family take us back to Henry 1 and William the Conqeror.

The only way of positively disproving the marriage would be if there was a definitive record of John marrying a different Isabel.

Not sure this helps, but I would be interested in where you are in the Austen family tree. I get there via, Hawkins, Hubbard, Curtis, Lewis and Henry Nash who married Mary Austen b 1688.

Hiya

How did you get back to Henry Austen b 1330? How certain are you of anything past him? I'd be interested to see any kind of tree you have linking Henry (1330) to the later Austens.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Matt

Offline Foxy234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your information so far  :)

I get to the Austen family via Fox, Walker then John Kennett who married Elizabeth Austen, do you have the same father for Elizabeth Austen? I currently have Valentine Austen born 1595. I agree that further proof is needed that John Austen definitely married Isabel Willoughby

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your information so far  :)

I get to the Austen family via Fox, Walker then John Kennett who married Elizabeth Austen, do you have the same father for Elizabeth Austen? I currently have Valentine Austen born 1595. I agree that further proof is needed that John Austen definitely married Isabel Willoughby

Hiya

Elizabeth Austen and John Kennett are my ancestors and so is Valentine Austen. The Austens also crop up connected to my Denne ancestors and Gibbes ancestors. In fact they crop up a lot!

PM me your email address and I will send you a tree. I will post an update here as well, hopefully in the next few days.

Matt

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

We may share some ancestors, but have different paths to get there!

My earliest Austen was Mary b 1688 who married into the Nash side of my family. I have her father as Roger Austen b 1672 who married a Margaret Franklyn b 1665. This link got me quite excited at the time as it went back to Edward 1, but again there was a 'class' and geographic divide which led me to dismiss all of the other trees ... sad.

Roger Austen's father was Matthew b 1652 and his father was also Matthew, whose father was Valentine b 1595, who I have as married to a Jane Terell.

My email address is johncowan38@gmail.com and I am quite happy to exchange relevant bits of our trees.

Regards, John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

We may share some ancestors, but have different paths to get there!

My earliest Austen was Mary b 1688 who married into the Nash side of my family. I have her father as Roger Austen b 1672 who married a Margaret Franklyn b 1665. This link got me quite excited at the time as it went back to Edward 1, but again there was a 'class' and geographic divide which led me to dismiss all of the other trees ... sad.

Roger Austen's father was Matthew b 1652 and his father was also Matthew, whose father was Valentine b 1595, who I have as married to a Jane Terell.

My email address is johncowan38@gmail.com and I am quite happy to exchange relevant bits of our trees.

Regards, John

Hiya

Yes I think you are right. I don't have your Matthew Austen [b1652] but I do have his father, Matthew Austen [son of Valentine Austen and Jane Terrell] born November 1629 [christened 1 November 1629 Wye]. Valentine Austen was a maltster and died in 1649/50 leaving a Will.

Valentine Austen married Elizabeth Sheffe/Sheaffe in about 1634 [Jane died in 1633]. Their 5th child Elizabeth Austen married John Kennett in Wye in 1664.

Valentine's parents were Matthew Austen [1562-1640] and his wife Tomasine [who died in 1652], both of whom left Wills. Valentine himself was the son of Richard Austen of Adisham [1512-1592] and Agnes Denne.

John Kennett and Elizabeth Austen's son William Kennett married Margaret Gibbes [daughter of Lawrence Gibbes of Crundale]. I descend from their son [and only child] John Kennett [b1698 Wye]. Interestingly there is another mention of the Austens in the Will of Margaret Gibbes uncle, Stephen Gibbes. In his Will he mentions his sister Jane who was married to Thomas Austen, and also their son Lawrence Austen:

"I give to Jane my sister the wife of Thomas Austen the sum of fifty pounds which her husband hath of mine in her hand she to have the use and profit thereof during her natural life and after her decease I give the same fifty pounds to Lawrence Austen her son"

He also mentions "Elizabeth daughter of William Austen of Wye" so there must be a link there with the other Austens but I haven't worked it out yet.

Anyhow I will end there but I will try to email you some GEDCOMs or trees in pdf format over the next few days.

There are certainly a lot of the Austens and they are an interesting family.

Matt
William Kennett's younger brother Richard married Elizabeth Austin of Newington nxt Hythe in 1699 but I don't know how she is related to the other Austens.

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Looking for any info re the following.

Regards,

Gary
Australia.

Jno. Austen
England Marriages, 1538–1973   birth: