Author Topic: Marriage of William Knight and Ann, possibly in Morton by Bourne  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of William Knight and Ann, possibly in Morton by Bourne
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, wondering if anyone can find an elusive marriage please. Looking for the marriage of William Knight to an Ann, presumably close to Morton by Bourne. William was possibly born around 1796, to William and Mary, though the 1851 and 1861 census suggest he was a bit younger.

William and Ann had 4 children baptised in Morton by Bourne from 1828 to 1834 (John, William Rakales, Edward and George), then Ann died in late 1834 - aged 34 on burial - and William married again, to Vyana (transcribed in some places as Diana) Reed, in Morton in 1836. So I'm assuming William and Ann married in 1825-1827.....

There appears to be another William Knight in the area and of a similar age; he married Alice Ellis in 1819, 2 children, then she had 2 others after he had been 'sent to Van Diemen's land'. Have found some amazing bastardy and settlement records for Alice, as well as settlement records for what i think are her in laws, Oadley (Hoadley?) and Elizabeth Wright.

Thanks for reading.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of William Knight and Ann, possibly in Morton by Bourne
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
County   Lincolnshire
Place    Morton by Bourne
Church name   St John the Baptist
Register type   Unspecified
Baptism date   07 Jan 1796
Person forename   William
Person sex   M
Father forename   William
Father surname   KNIGHT
Mother forename   Mary

County   Lincolnshire
Place    Morton by Bourne
Church name   St John the Baptist
Register type   Unspecified
Baptism date   02 Dec 1799
Person forename   William
Person sex   M
Father forename   _adley
Father surname   KNIGHT
Mother forename   Elizabeth
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Larkspur, i should have said that I'd found those baptisms, but not sure which is the William i'm looking for. Given the other records I'm inclined to think that the 1799 William (son of Oadley and Elizabeth) is the one who married Alice but finding the William and Ann marriage would be helpful.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
You may have to look further afield for the Marriage. I have found a lot of cross border Marriages in Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire for Lincs Men/Women.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trish, i had searched all Lincs, and leaving Ann off tbe search, and variations of William and Knight but found nothing. Annoyingly FindMyPast doesn't seem to find anything if i look for all marriages. Will try Yorks and Notts though tonight.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I had family in Rippingale (not far from Morton) who had been moved by the land owner in Rutland. They included Anne KNIGHT who was married in Normanton, Rutland in 1781. I think the family SMITH) moved to Rippingale sometime between 1791 and 1800.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 00:39 GMT (UK) »
It's a pity we don't know  where your Ann was from. I've noticed marriage seems more likely to have taken place where the bride was.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Sadly she had died before the 1841 so we don’t even know if ‘born in county’ 🤔

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 February 18 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you could check if Ann has a gravestone in case more info is provided such has names of any other children who died in infancy - they may have been born elsewhere. Or she was buried with or near a parent.
You could put a request on the Find A Grave website?