Author Topic: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate  (Read 4345 times)

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate
« on: Thursday 05 October 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I have a 4x great grandfather, George Jarvey in my family line. He was born in 1766 (calculated from census records) and died sometime between 1841 and 1851.   He was married to Jean Whytt (born in Slamannan in 1769-1855).  He was a farmer as were his sons.  On the Bathgate parish records for the births of his first two sons, John Jarvey (1796-1849) and George (1804-1889), he and his wife are just named as the parents.  However, on the record for his son William (1806-1857ish), he is called George Jarvey in Balbardie and his spouse Jean Whyte ....  I can also find him as George Jarvie, Balbardie in tax records for 1797/98 and 1798/99.

I can find a John Jarvey, late tenant farmer of Balbardie who died 1797 and his wife, Mary Cleland.  Old parish records show John and Mary had several children - Thomas Jervy (1749), William Jarvy (1751), James Jarvie (1760), Mary Jarvey (1770). I also know there was a George Jarvey, vintner, Bathgate who had Jarvey Street, Bathgate named after him and I think was the brother of John Jarvey (from a history of James 'Young' Simpson). 

So, after all that information, does anyone know if George Jarvey, vintner, married and had children, one of whom could be my George Jarvey (1766)?  Or did John and Mary have a son called George who took over Balbardie after John died?

I know there are a couple of you wonderful forumites who have an interest in the Bathgate Jarvey/Jarvie family line, so I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 17 09:50 BST (UK) »
Annie,  can't be a common name in Bathgate, I don't see any in the Bathgate Mortality Records 1860-1925, possibly to late & the family have moved elsewhere?

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
I have an interest in Mary Jarvey (1770-1820). She was the daughter of John Jarvey and Mary Cleland in Balbardie, and granddaughter of Thomas Jarvey and Isabella Wardrop.

Mary Jarvey married David Simpson (1760-1830) and their seventh son was Sir James Young Simpson, pioneer of anaesthetics.

My connection is via Mary Cleland. Her mother Elizabeth Storrie of Braco was the sister of my great-great-great-great-grandfather John Storrie of Braco. So I have not looked further into the Jarveys than at Mary Jarvey's parents and siblings.

However I have yet to find out what happaned to Mary Jarvey's brothers Thomas, William and James. I also wonder whether George Jarvey (1766) could be a another brother whose baptism went unrecorded?

Be very, very, very careful of what you take from online histories of Sir James Young Simpson. There is an unbelievable amount of rubbish online about his family connections put there by people whose research has been sloppy and careless to the point of negligence.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for getting back to me.

I know the family moved to Glasgow around 1818/19 because I have Jean Whyte's very detailed death certificate saying they'd beeen living in Glasgow for 36 years.  And the family didn't move very far from the area they originally settled until the 1960's when Possil/Maryhill was being redeveloped.

I'm thinking too that George Jarvey (1766) was perhaps an undocumented son of John and Mary, although I read somewhere that I forgot to bookmark to easily find, that some pages of records for old parish records in Bathgate/Livingston are missing.  I know too, that it was normal for a son to take over his father's farm, so perhaps George took over Balbardie when John died in 1797.  The dates certainly match.

My grandmother always said James Young Simpson was a cousin of the family. William Jarvey (1806) daughter, Jean Jarvey, was her mother, so my gran did take that middle name.  If George Jarvey is Mary Jarvey's brother, that would indeed make him a cousin of her grandfather.  Either way, I'd still love to know where my George Jarvey came from.  As for his children, John (1796) died single, in 1849.  George (1804) remained single as did their sister Jean (1800), whose birth wasn't recorded either.  William (1806) was widowed not long after the birth of his two daughters, who both married in Glasgow.  And so down to us!!!

I have read some of the very incorrect stuff about James Young Simpson.  As you say, Forfarian, total rubbish.  And, if I can ever find a connection with John Jarvey and Mary Cleland, maybe it's "hello, distant cousin".  Do you have any information on George Jarvey, vintner, of Bathgate, please?  It may be that he was the father of my George.

Once again, thank you Skoosh and Forfarian for taking the time to reply to me.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
No, I'm afraid that I don't have any information about George Jarvey the vintner. I only wondered about George (1766) being a son of John J and Mary Cleland because it is usual for a son to take over from his father.

If George was their son, he wasn't the eldest son so his elder brothers must all have died or emigrated or found other farms during their father's lifetime (if so, where?) but it's also possible that a nephew took on the family farm if all his cousins were gone. So that gets me nowhere, really!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Here's an interesting snippet. It's a reference from the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland that I have not yet followed up. It seems to have dragged on until 1818.

James Corbet, surgeon, Royal Navy v George Jarvey, son of the deceased John Jarvey, vintner, Bathgate 1 Sep 1810 [NAS CS38/1/108]
CS38/19/81 Same people 3 Apr 1818 and CS38/20/17 Same again 22 Jun 1818.

Could this conceivably provide a reason for George moving to Glasgow in 1818/1819?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
Possibly worth looking at the newspaper archive, Forfarian - notice in the Caledonian Mercury 8 Aug 1811 regarding creditors of the late John Jarvey,vintner,Bathgate has " at the instance of James Corbet...against the creditors of the said John Jarvey".

Also note that there is a short obituary for George Jarvey, Caledonian Mercury 8 March 1806.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
I don't currently have a subscription to the Newspaper Archive (waiting until life is a bit less hectic so I can be sure to get the most out of it!) but will bear that in mind.

The burning question will then be, "Was one and the same John Jarvey both a farmer and a vintner, or were there two John Jarveys, one a vintner and the other a farmer?"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:34 BST (UK) »
Have been having a rake about in the Caledonian Mercury, which I can access via the National Library of Scotland.

Jarvey John in Balbairdy aged 78 years Palsey died Feby 7th 1797. [Bathgate Parish Register]

Sequestrations etc. 1801. July 27. John Baillie, vintner at Broxburn. Creditors to meet in the house of John Jarvey, vintner in Bathgate, on the 1st August next, at 12 o'clock noon, to name an interim factor; and again, at same place and hour, on the 19th August next, to chuse a trustee. [Caledonian Mercury, 5 August 1801]

Lost. Dropt on Tuesday, the Three following Bills: £67:9:7, due 15th and 18th March 1805, accepted by Armstrong and Co Edinburgh; £26:11:0, due 7th and 10th March 1805, accepted by Wm Pender, Airdrie; £21, due 3d and 6th January 1805, accepted by John Jarvey, Bathgate. As payment of the above Bills is Stopped, they can be of no use to any person except the drawer. For the above bills a handsome Reward will be given, by applying at the Caledonian Mercury Office. [Caledonian Mercury, 27 December 1804]

Died. Upon the 14th Ult Mr George Jarvey, vintner in Bathgate, aged 80 years. Mr Jarvey contributed largely towards the improvement of Bathgate, his native soil, and afforded the inhabitants the pleasure of walking in a beautiful garden, scarcely to be equalled in a country village. It will be a circumstance gratifying to his friends, that as he lived respected, so he died much regretted by his numerous acquaintances. [Caledonian Mercury, 8 March 1806]

We hear from Bathgate, that on the evening of Tuesday the 11th curt (being old New Year's Day, which the masters of servants in country towns, rather improperly allow them to indulge in noctural inebriations), a number of young lads, apprentices of mechanics in that place, broke into the gardens of the peaceful inhabitants, and wantonly destroyed the fruit trees, and others within them, particularly into the beautiful and delightful garden, the property of Mr Jarvey, vintner, in which they broke down and destroyed some very fine statues, which ornament it. From the vigorous and cautious steps adopted by Mr Jarvey, most of the delinquents have been apprehended and committed to prison by the Justices of the Peace. [Caledonian Mercury, 16 January 1808]

Scots Bankrupts. William Fleming, Vintner, Bathgate. Creditors meet in Jarvey's inmm 15th June, 12 oclock, to name a factor; same place and hour, 15th July, to elect a trustee. [Caledonian Mercury, 11 June 1808]

To the Creditors of John Jarvey, late Vintner, Bathgate. In the process of multiple-poinding, depending on the Supreme Court, before Lord Meadowbank, Ordinary (Mr Rose, clerk) at the instance of James Corbet, surgeon, royal navy, against the creditors of said John Jarvey, his Lordhsip, by interlocutor of 9th July 1811, appointed John Gibson, writer to the signet, to be common agent for carrying on the process; and of new ordanied the creditors to produce their interests against the first box day in the present vacation, with certification, and appointed intimation to be made thereof; of which notice is hereby given to all concerned. [Caledonian Mercury, 8 August 1811]

I think, if I put all this together, that John Jarvey, vintner, Bathgate, was the son of George Jarvey, vintner, Bathgate, who was born about 1715 and died in 1806. As John Jarvey in Balbardie died in 1797, he cannot be the same person as the John Jarvey, vintner, in whose premises creditors' meetings were held in 1801 and 1808, and who was himself sequestrated in 1811.

Therefore George Jarvey senior could be a brother of John Jarvey in Balbardie, and yes, he had at least one son so may have had others, for example your George junior born about 1766.