Author Topic: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate  (Read 4344 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
More random info ....

Also in the pre-1855 Book, there is a reference to a record of 'Scandal' held at NAS.

See: http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CC8%2f6%2f393&st=2&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=george+jarvie&ko=a&r=&ro=c&df=&dt=&di=y&dc=&dco=s&t=&to=o&

"Scandal - Robert RAMSAY brewer in Bathgate v. George JARVIE brewer & feuer in Bathgate & John JARVIE tenant in Boghall. 1762"

There are another few mentions of Jarvies, but if any of them are related, I haven't a clue.

Anne  :)

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Anne.  Really interesting information and certainly gives me something to work on.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Indeed it is.

I haven't come across contra hereditatem iacentem before. 'Contra' is Latin for 'against', 'hereditatem' is the accusative case of 'hereditas' which is Latin for 'inheritance' and 'iacentem' is the adjective 'lying' agreeing with 'hereditatem' so the phrase is something like 'against the inheritance resting to' someone. So this looks like Corbett pursuing his case against John Jarvey by going for his son, who is due to inherit from him.

Also interesting that the fourth document mentions David Simpson as well as George Jarvey. If George Jarvey sr was the brother of John Jarvey in Balbardie, then George Jarvey, son of John the sequestrated vintner, was first cousin once removed to David Simpson's wife Mary Jarvey, who was potentially the heiress to the estate of George Jarvey if all her brothers had died.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help!   :)

Offline gtoal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 19 June 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
If it's any help, there's some anecdotes about Bathgate in my great grandfather's recollections: https://gtoal.com/bathgate/ "A bit of old Bathgate".  Mary Jarvey (Sir James Young Simpson's mother) was my Great^5 Grandmother.  There's a lovely mention of her in A Bit of Old Bathgate:
About the same distance to the left from where we
stand is the birthplace of Sir James Young Simpson, the
discoverer of chloroform, who was born on 17th June 1811.
His father was a baker, and his mother a good pious woman,
endowed with a vast amount of common sense. One day (as
a boy) when the future Professor came into the house, with
a big hole in the heel of his stocking, she took him on her
knee and darned the stocking, remarking -- "My Jamie,
when your mother's awa', you'll remember that she was a
gran' darner."

By the way, did you know that John Napier (famous mathematician, the inventor of logarithms) was related to the Jarveys as well, by marriage: John Napier's son Archibald Napier (1534) -> John Napier (1580) -> John Napier (1615) -> John Napier (1635) who married Janet Jarvey (1634-1671)
Mochrie, Stirling, Maxwell, Reynard, King, Gardiner, Napier, Bankier, Rankine, Fleming, Simpson, Grindlay, Jarvey, Nimmo, Salmond, Maitland, Fergusson