Author Topic: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate  (Read 294 times)

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
More random info ....

Also in the pre-1855 Book, there is a reference to a record of 'Scandal' held at NAS.

See: http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=CC8%2f6%2f393&st=2&tc=y&tl=n&tn=n&tp=n&k=george+jarvie&ko=a&r=&ro=c&df=&dt=&di=y&dc=&dco=s&t=&to=o&

"Scandal - Robert RAMSAY brewer in Bathgate v. George JARVIE brewer & feuer in Bathgate & John JARVIE tenant in Boghall. 1762"

There are another few mentions of Jarvies, but if any of them are related, I haven't a clue.

Anne  :)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Anne.  Really interesting information and certainly gives me something to work on.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
    • Geograph
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
Indeed it is.

I haven't come across contra hereditatem iacentem before. 'Contra' is Latin for 'against', 'hereditatem' is the accusative case of 'hereditas' which is Latin for 'inheritance' and 'iacentem' is the adjective 'lying' agreeing with 'hereditatem' so the phrase is something like 'against the inheritance resting to' someone. So this looks like Corbett pursuing his case against John Jarvey by going for his son, who is due to inherit from him.

Also interesting that the fourth document mentions David Simpson as well as George Jarvey. If George Jarvey sr was the brother of John Jarvey in Balbardie, then George Jarvey, son of John the sequestrated vintner, was first cousin once removed to David Simpson's wife Mary Jarvey, who was potentially the heiress to the estate of George Jarvey if all her brothers had died.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help!   :)