Author Topic: James Bolton and Elizabeth Bolton.  (Read 990 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Bolton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any other children but Helen was born in 1802 and baptised at Dumfries I think Elizabeth nee Storrie was only 16.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Bolton
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Yes - I've been looking into Helen's family and see that Jane was born England on censuses. How certain are you that this Elizabeth Bolton is Helen's mother?

I'm sure I got my Dumfriesshire ancestors' military service (during same period) from the National Archives (Kew). It was a good many years ago and I had to order.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget

No evidence that it is Helen's mother at all but when Jane was christened in London they were living in Henry Street/Road not sure. I also found a James Bolton who was late of John Street Adelphi a bankrupt Wine merchant in 1809. 

The funny thing about this is that it was posted in the London Gazette but also posted in the Edinburgh Gazette?

Presumably he would have been in debtors prison but can't find any other info to prove or disprove.

Dumfries archives are checking the muster rolls for me but from all accounts there is no indexing for them and they are in yearly platoon order not regiments.  So hopefully in the not so distant future they will get back to me. 

I can't find any marriage or baptism for James Bolton and Elizabeth Storrie/Story/Storey or Stary but it said on the baptism that she was his spouse?

??? Totally confused

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 October 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
It's been estimated that only about 30% of pre-1855 Scottish marriages are listed, for various reasons. See:

https://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

I think it might be best to see what the Ewart produces.  I'll keep looking to see if there is anything that might help.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 October 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget  help much appreciated

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 October 17 17:38 BST (UK) »
Just noticed that there were a couple of witnesses to Helen's baptism in 1802:

Witnesses - James Jardain  (?Jardine?)  and John Mcpherson

It might be worth checking on them.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 October 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
I noticed that James Jardine was a miner but didn't give John Mcpherson's profession will have a look tomorrow see if I can find anything will keep you posted.  Thanks again

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 October 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
I have just checked the parish register again and blown it up to look closely I think the name is Jarvis not Jardine and he is a miner?

I think this is what it reads

James Bolton, Soldier in the 4th Regt of NB Militia and Elisabeth Story his Spouse had a Daughter born 16 April and baptised 18th April by the name of Helen Witnesses James Jarvis miner and John Mcpherson.

Elisabeth Story could be Stary but on Helen's death certificate it is Storrie.

What do you think?

Eileen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • MEM 1878 - 1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 October 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Don't think it says miner - think it's all surname. None of the other witnesses have occupations stated. It would be very unusual.

Snip attached.

I'll put it up for deciphering and link.