Author Topic: Baptism Flint Parish Records  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism Flint Parish Records
« on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
If someone lives at Near Mill Flint/Mill Brow Flint and says there are born in Flint (Census records 1871-1901), but were buried in Northop old cemetery, where would I go to for the Parish Register to look for the birth? I don't know if Near Mill/Mill Brow is in Flint itself or Northop. I think the Registers are kept in different places.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Flint Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

First off, Parish Registers don't show births - they show baptisms ;D
Secondly, were the family church or chapel? I would suspect they were non-conformist chapel?

Have you tried looking at Flintshire Record Office?
http://www.flintshire.gov.uk/en/LeisureAndTourism/Records-and-Archives/Home.aspx
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:42 BST (UK) »
Yes, sorry. I do know that. He was born abt. 1836 so it will be baptism I'm looking for. I don't know if they were church or chapel. The only information I have that I know for sure is correct is from the marriage register of his daughter. It simply states name and occupation of father (Collier) . It is father (and mother) I want to trace. The daughter was born in Flint, Flintshire (from census records), but went to work in Liverpool aged 19. I have found Census records from a family in Flint near Mill with names that fit, but that is circumstantial. I was hoping that a search of the PRs would lead me to a baptism and marriage. I have found a couple of possibilities for baptism on FindMyPast (Flint Baptisms) but not a trace of a marriage. Possibly the marriage was non conformist.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Do you have any names?

The GRO Index Search now shows maiden names for nearly all birth registrations.
You have to register, but it's free to search.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have an 'about' DOB of 1836 which is before Civil Registration begins. I did search just in case but with no result.
The CLWYD transcripts for Flint baptisms stop at 1812. So he falls into a gap. Quite possibly one of the Baptisms I have found on FindMyPast is correct, but I've no way of telling.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rooschat.

There are baptisms for St.Mary Flint on www.freereg.org.uk.
(There is also a "Flint Mountain" category).
If non-conformist there is www.bmdregisters.co.uk(pay site) or www.familysearch.org

Regards
Roger

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger. Yes, I've tried all those just in case the birth fell into the years after Civil Registration but no luck. Civil Reg began in 1837 and the birth I'm looking at was just before that. Hence my question of where to go for the Registers.. if he was born in Flint then it would be Flintshire County Archives, but in Census Records his address is near Mill or Mill Brow. I'm trying to find out where that is. Also, he was buried (if I have the right person) in Northop Rd old cemetery.. I think those records are held separately.
I feel as thought I'm chasing a ghost as despite concrete evidence of an entire family in the Census Records for Flint, I have found only one possible birth, a possible baptism and absolutely no marriage!
I have sent an enquiry to Flintshire Archives but the chances of visiting there in the near future are slim. Ditto Northop.  ::)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 October 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
The Freereg records are from before 1837.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 October 17 18:14 BST (UK) »
If you don't wish to reveal the name on the thread,send me a PM(Personal Message) and I will see what I can find and reply by PM.

Regards
Roger