Author Topic: Baptism Flint Parish Records  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Flint Parish Records
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 October 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
I reasoned that  the marriage might have taken place just after the Census was taken and that they were both working and lodging somewhere else. Though that was before you told me part of the 1861 Census is missing
I did find a Thomas Davies age 25 at Naid y March (FindMyPast) in 1861 lead miner unmarried son of William and Ann Davies with a number of siblings. I'm very dubious about that now.. lead miner? But then later (1881) he is an ag. Lab and 1891 a chemical worker. I also prefer the Thomas and Ann or Thomas and Jane bapt already found but not confirmed. Because of the naming link. Though obviously that is very speculative!

I have bapt. For Sarah from FindMyPast.
Sarah bapt. 27 Oct 1833 Flint. Mother's maiden name Mary. Residence Bryan.

Also her father Edward..FindMyPast
BIRTH 17 July. Bapt. 22 July 1804. Bapt. Mold son of John Griffiths and Mary Jones.
There is a burial record for Edward which is consistent with this date of birth.

Marriage Banns for Edward Griffiths (FindMyPast)
14 Sept 1828 Northop (though FindMyPast give place as Connah's Quay). Register entry says 'Mary Ellis and Edward Griffiths ... both of this Parish of Northop'. Annotation on side says married by me H. Jones Vicar.

Mary is only seen in one Census (1841) and possibly died after birth of Eli 1842. In 1851 Edward is living on his own at Mill Brow, Widower.

So ... where the heck is Thomas, born around 1834/5/6?

Have heard from Flintshire archives that they only keep St. Mary's church records. Also a congregational one but not early enough. So I think if the family were 'Church' I will have to contact Northop. I won't be able to get there for some time and anyway..they might be non conformist.... !
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 October 17 13:39 BST (UK) »
I've forgotten who I'm looking for! Of course there is no evidence that Thomas Davies was from Northop, only that his wife was. So perhaps St. Mary's records might hold the key.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the most likely baptismal record for Thomas is to Thomas(collier) and Ann,Flint 1835.
I would say this is the family in censuses:-

1841  HO107/1407/8/43/10  Castle Cottage Flint

1851  HO107/2501/99/18 Mumforth/Mainforth Street Flint

By 1861 the parents are by themselves at the same address,and in 1871 with grandchildren

Note that the "address",probably an area,"Bryn",is the same for Sarah Griffiths' baptism in 1833 as Thomas Davies' death in 1901.

Regards
Roger

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 October 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Gosh, thank you so much. I don't know how you worked that one out, but I agree. It seems to be the most likely. I've looked at those Census records before but couldn't decide. Now I see them all together, it fits.
Bryn has come up a few times .. think that is the address/area which Sarah's father is at in some records.
A lesson learned.. must organise all my search results for comparison. I keep looking for ways to organise and sort records when I have so many possibles. You are obviously more methodical than I am.
I've been trying to sort that family out for at least three years, so I am extremely grateful for your help.
I've sent for the copy baptism entry for Mary, Thomas's daughter as extra confirmation...
Hope I can return the favour some time.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 October 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Still wondering why there is no marriagr record(I've searched newspapers too).At least if you accept the 1851 Thomas census it finally rules out the unlikely 1850 marriage.I'll carry on looking for marriage possibilities e.g.paired data where there are only three entries.

Regards
Roger

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 October 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
I think the 1851 Census is probably correct .. but there is always a chance that the whole lot is wrong! At least I will know for certain mother's maiden name when I get the baptism copy.
Thank you for looking.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 October 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
Found a marriage for Thomas Davies and Sarah Griffiths, Wrexham, Denbighshire.. do you think that is a possibility..?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Found a marriage for Thomas Davies and Sarah Griffiths, Wrexham, Denbighshire.. do you think that is a possibility..?

If its one in 1848 there will be no hope of a "lookup" as its listed as a "Civil Marriage" on North Wales BMD.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
I do think it more likely though that they married somewhere near Flint.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk