Author Topic: My head is battered with geneology  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Neilok64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My head is battered with geneology
« on: Friday 06 October 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
Bloody hell this is hard work I know detectives who don't put this much into a working week,no wonder a lot of people drift in and out of it ;-)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My head is battered with geneology
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 17 02:56 BST (UK) »
lol, this hobby certainly concentrates the mind far better than any teacher's "six of the best" did  ;D

I don't know about you or other people, but although I knew most of my relatives I found it difficult to start collecting documentation for them.   As it became easier to track them further back through the ages, I often found I'd been so absorbed following the paper trail that I'd lost track of time and only knew that I'd missed out on a night's sleep by the sound of the dawn chorus penetrating my consciousness.   ;D

Have a great day
Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D.

Ditto Rena!  Right back at the start,  15 years or so ago - and it's still a happening thing! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 17 04:25 BST (UK) »
Been addicted for many, many years :)  And yes I do tend to lose track of time :-[.

Lots of stories about my journey and I won't bore you all with those however I often tell this one.  About 15 years ago I found I could purchase and download probated Wills from National Archives at Kew.  Lunchtime was looming and living on a fairly large farm in a fairly remote area, mealtimes are needed [expected :-X] to be on time.  Oh why did the internet choose to drop out and then go slow during the download.  I lost all track of time and eventually emerged from the farm office with the seven pages of illegible script to announce.   "I have a copy of my ggggrandfather Will" to which the response was "Can we eat it for lunch".  Probably not all that funny now but it was at the time.

These days I spend lots of time adding 'meat to the bones'...which I really enjoy.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 17 05:06 BST (UK) »
We can take some comfort that doing mental puzzles every day staves off Alzheimer's.

So all those relatives driving us mad are actually doing us good!
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 October 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
I look on geneology as an amazing journey into the past - well I was pretty good at history in bygone days.

It does become addictive but keeps the brain cells going. I have been known to go to bed and then get up when my brain will not switch off and something in the back of my mind gives me a clue to something I was looking for. Time  ;) ;) what is that?

Long may the lost "rellies" keep me going.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 October 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
It certainly is a journey this ancestry hunting.  The trouble is I tend to get sidetracked when I spot a name which could belong to another of my trees.  Sometimes at the end of the day I find I have done nothing except look at something/someone I hadn't been looking for to start with !
Does that make sense ?
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 October 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
It certainly is a journey this ancestry hunting.  The trouble is I tend to get sidetracked when I spot a name which could belong to another of my trees.  Sometimes at the end of the day I find I have done nothing except look at something/someone I hadn't been looking for to start with !
Does that make sense ?

Yes I know the feeling  ;D  ;D ..never mind it keeps the brain active  ;)

Rosie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 October 17 00:07 BST (UK) »

It does become addictive but keeps the brain cells going. I have been known to go to bed and then get up when my brain will not switch off and something in the back of my mind gives me a clue to something I was looking for. Time  ;) ;) what is that?

Me too Dorrie - that's why I keep a notebook and pen on my bedside cabinet!   >:( >:(
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections