Author Topic: James Allison born Strathaven, Lanarkshire  (Read 2771 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Allison born Strathaven, Lanarkshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 October 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
Maybe if you dig around on Trove, you might find some burial notice? I'm not sure how far back the papers go for the area in question, but lots of hits for James Allison (not necessarily yours)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=James+Allison+oakey+creek

Try adjusting the keywords in the search box that might lead to him (address, age etc)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 October 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)

Closest I can see for his birth, with a father James, in the Old Parish Registers is this entry in 1799 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTKT-5H5  Strathaven is in the parish of Avondale.

There are a number of Allisons from Strathaven. Hard to say which is the right family without further details.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 17 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi bbart and Monica,
Thank you for your help and suggestions.
It is difficult to find information on James Allison snr because James is such a common name among the Allison family. James Mair Allison had Oakey Creek Station for a number of years, so was well known in the Coolah district, there are numerous articles about him and his son James McIntosh Allison. I will keep digging.
Cheers
Allison :)

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:12 BST (UK) »
I have found conflicting information about James Allison snr birth year. I think it is more likely he was born in the 1790s as his wife Agnes was born 1794. Agnes born 2/2/1794 parents Alexander Mair and Agnes Gray. Parish: Old Monkland or Coatbridge.
Not sure when her an James married but the oldest son James Mair Allison was born abt. 1824 . I think he was born Windyedge Strahaven Scotland.
James Allison snr may have been christened James Marshall Allison. The name Marshall has been given as middle name to alot of descendants of James. Could be his mothers maiden name.
I hope this may help find out more about James ALLISON snr.
Kind regards
Allison 😊

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 04:54 BST (UK) »
I honestly think the only hope you have of finding the info is by getting a copy of his death certificate. It would also give the name of his parents, his birthdate, and where he was buried. It's cheaper if you order through the family search link: http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx  You just need the registration number/year from the index, which is 3918/1868.  It would also give a list of all his children, which might tell you things.  If you don't want to pay for the certified copy, scroll to the bottom of that link, and it tells you how to contact them for just the facts on the registration, so probably much cheaper? This might be the way to go, as it very well not be your James.  The Trove newspapers throw up multiple Allisons as a longstanding family in Dubbo.

On the 1841 and 1851 he is shown to be much younger than Agnes, so it's a guessing game so far as to his age.

There is a heritage report at  http://www.warrumbungle.nsw.gov.au/ArticleDocuments/684/CoolahShireHeritageStudyReport.pdf.aspx  which has a couple mentions of the Oakey Creek Private cemetery, and that it is mainly Allisons in it. However, prior to James M Allison renting, then purchasing the land, it was owned by unrelated Allisons:  two brothers named William and Mathew.
Source: https://transcripts.sl.nsw.gov.au/page/369194/view

I have taken a look at online trees at various sites, and ran off screaming.  Too many are just trying to guess which Allison goes where, with no proper documentation!  (Things like James Sr dying in 1868, then being in the 1871 Scottish census.... or another where he was in Australia at the same time as serving in the American Civil war... *sigh*)  However, one tree did have a copy of the death reg. for son Hugh, which indicated that his father, James Sr. was a gardener, if that helps.

Agnes (Mair) Allison was buried in Kunopia, which I think is a bit too far from Bundo to have her buried with her husband?

Going back to that heritage study: It looks like the Oakey Creek area where the private cemetery is owned by PasPaleygroup.  It lists the cemetery in what they call Kurrajong Prk.
http://www.paspaleygroup.com/pastoral/kurrajong-park has contact info.
If you live close enough, perhaps they would allow you access to the private cemetery to take photos?

Anyways, I will dig around a bit more, but my instincts say you need his actual death registration to figure out his parents and where he is buried.

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi bbart,
Thank you so much for all the research you have done . I have ordered a transcription of James Allison's death certificate which I hope will give me the information I am seeking.
One thing puzzles me about the reg number of his year of death. He was supposed to have died in 1868 and one of the family tree sites said he died 21 September 1869 . I wonder where they got that information. I will hopefully have the right information when I receive the certificate.
Will definitely let you know when I get it.
Thankyou again.
Cheers Allison 😊

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
He was supposed to have died in 1868 and one of the family tree sites said he died 21 September 1869

I saw that one too.... either the person mistyped it, or  ???
 I only look at other's people trees when I am desperate for a hint.

Please do let me know what you find out!  I really hope it is your James! Also, did you want that copy of Hugh Allison's death record?

Offline Allison Terry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi bbart,
I would like to get a copy of Hugh Allison's death certificate if you could let me know what site you saw it on that would be great.
Thank you again.
Cheers
Allison
 😊

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to Hugh, but if it doesn't work for whatever reason, I have downloaded it so I can email it:

https://mediasvc.ancestry.com/v2/image/namespaces/1093/media/840cb50f-7510-444d-963e-b8d95e865534.jpg?client=Trees&imageQuality=hq