Author Topic: North Cemetery Hartlepool - Grave Registers - looking for Thomas ANDERSON  (Read 1503 times)

Offline alathea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hello
Please can I ask if it is possible to search the grave registers for North Cemetery Hartlepool to see a list of who is buried in each grave?
Do they still exist and where would I be able to see them?
Have they been transcribed?
I have found Jane ANDERSON of Caroline Street, Hartlepool buried on 22 Jul 1904 in North Cemetery, Hartlepool.
I am searching for the burial of her husband Thomas who was born in 1830. I have been looking for his death and burial for a few years but can't find any trace of it and as a last resort I wondered if it is possible that he is buried in her grave.
I know that Thomas was alive when Jane died as her GRO death certificate shows that he registered her death.
Kind regards Kay

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Cemetery Hartlepool - Grave Registers - looking for Thomas ANDERSON
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 15:27 BST (UK) »
Durham Records online says they have burials at North Cemetery from 1856 to 1991 but he's not in the database (though Jane's burial is).

The nearest I can find on FreeBMD for a death registration is in Q2 1908 Thomas Anderson, age 77, Easington District.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/easington.html

That link will show you a list of places covered by Easington District

Did they have any children that perhaps he may have gone to live with after the death of his wife? Maybe that is why there is no death registered in the expected district of Hartlepool?

Out of interest, what was Thomas' occupation?

Added

I had another firkle, a free search of Durham Records Online shows a burial of Thomas Anderson, born c1831  at Seaham Princess Road Cemetery in 1908 (which matches with that death registration)

Looking at the Probate calendar, Thomas Anderson, of Seham Harbour died 25 May 1908. Probate was granted to William Anderson marine engineer and John Bowey Scott, solictor.

That may help to either confirm or discount this death reg/burial.
Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
The nearest I can find on FreeBMD for a death registration is in Q2 1908 Thomas Anderson, age 77, Easington District.

I just had a look at that one on Durham Records Online (got loads of credits at the moment  :) )
That Thomas was a master mariner.

I see that 'your' Thomas was a blast furnace labourer in 1901.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 17 15:49 BST (UK) »

I just had a look at that one on Durham Records Online (got loads of credits at the moment  :) )
That Thomas was a master mariner.

I see that 'your' Thomas was a blast furnace labourer in 1901.

Which would seem to discount that death reg and burial and I can't see any other likely registration.

Boo

Offline alathea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Tickettyboo, JenB and Stan, thank you so much for looking at my query, it is very kind and I really appreciate it.
I came to the same conclusion as you last year and wasted my money purchasing a death certificate for Q2 1908 Thomas Anderson, age 77, Easington District. At least it helped me to prove that he wasn't my Thomas :-D
I've searched for Thomas everywhere I can think of and the next place left to look is in Jane's grave.
I've searched the newspapers on FindmyPast, the GRO indexes, Durham Records online, Probate Indexes, Emmigration records and the 1911 Census records.
Jane and Thomas still had their son George living with them on the 1901 census, he was single, aged 26 and a brick layer born in Murton. I can't find any trace of him either after 1901, I've also looked in military records and on his sibling's census records.
George is mentioned in his brother John's army records as being one of his full blood brothers, the information was completed by John's widow in 1920, it said George would have been 41 but his whereabouts weren't known, it also said that his parents Thomas and Jane were both dead.
I've found a burial record on Durham Records online for a Thomas ANDERSON buried in Murton Holy Trinity in 1908 born about 1836, the age is wrong but it could just be an error so I may send for the GRO death certificate if I don't find anything else.
I'm also going to write to the archives at Hartlepool Library that was on the link Stan sent to ask about the Grave records.
Thank you again