Author Topic: Kingdons of Devon  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kingdons of Devon
« on: Friday 06 October 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, after years doing the family history and buying more certs than I should have I'm still only back to 1720 with my devon kingdon family and wonder if anyone of more experience can find info on the parents of Matthew Kingdon born 1720 high bray and died 1796 to get me back on right track or info on his earlier descendants,  thanks.   

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdons of Devon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't say 1720 was "only" back. You have done very well.

No amount of certificate buying will get you back further, as this is well before 1837 and the start of Civil Registration.

Your only hope is to find a baptism of Matthew.  Have you searched High Bray Parish Registers?

Out of interest, how did you find he was born 1720 in High Bray , if you haven't found a baptism? !!

Your profile doesn't say where you are, so I don't know if visiting the relevant Record Office is practical. Would certainly be the best approach, then you can wade through PR's for all neighbouring parishes for the appropriate years.
Unless they are online somewhere, but I am sure by now you would have come across them, as you imply you have been researching them a long time!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi lizbd, thanks for getting back to me, along with my own research I found similar trees to me on ancestry list matthew as born 1720 but haven't seen any of them go back further than him, was hoping to break that certain wall.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
And where do they get the information from?   !!!!

Online trees are no source. They can be no more than random guesses that are copied from one person to another.  They are best ignored unless the person can back up their findings with evidence.

Have you got a burial for Matthew with an age? That might at least give an idea of when he was born, although not where.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roeschlinp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Fully agree with lizdb on trusting online trees!
I believe that your Matthew Kingdon was baptised in North Molton 01.08.1720 and married Mary Jones, both of High Bray on 12.08.1743 in High Bray.
I have transcript of his North Molton baptism in 1720 but no parents are shown ..... so could be wrong? (I have double checked all Devon parish records for a Matthew Kingdon and nothing shows for any other parish)?
I believe that he died age 76 and was buried in High Bray on 25.12.1796.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
The Matthew baptised 1 Aug 1720 in North Molton was a Matthew DAVY, not KINGDON. (son of Thomas & Mary)
A Mary DAVY married a Thomas KINGDON at South Molton 9 August 1719, which doesn't quite add up.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline roeschlinp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that clarification, always wondered why there were no parents given? Is it therefore possible that Matthew was a base child of Mary Davey who was subsequently baptised in 1820 after she had married Thomas Kingdon but retained the Davey surname?
Following on - I also have a Thomas Kingdon bapt. 04.01.1721 North Molton with parents Thomas & Mary (Davey)? He weds Christian Maire & they have at least 6 kids alll born & baptised in Charles between 1743 & 1755.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 January 24 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hope this thread is still operating.
I am interested in both Matthew Kingdon of High Bray; and Thomas Kingdon and Christian Maire mentioned in previous message.
Thomas Kingdon and his wife Christian were both buried from High Bray Church, although given of Parish of Charles in 1802. As her bp was recorded at the time of her burial we can confirm her parents.
Yes, they had seven chn, one of whom was Joanna Kingdon bp.1 Aug 1749 Charles Parish, who was my ancestor and she married Joshua or Joseph Kingdon in 1771 Parish of Charles. Even though the record said both of this Parish, I am leading towards Joseph Kingdon being a relative from the North Molton clan.
I have not found the marriage of Thomas Kingdon to Christian Maire c1742 (not in Parish of Charles register).
Now to Matthew Kingdon who was buried 25 Dec 1796 High Bray. My guess is that he was born 1720 and most likely a brother to Thomas Kingdon. He married Mary Jones 12 Aug 1743 in High Bray. They had twins in 1747. If their son survived bp. 18 Mar 1747 High Bray, I see his descendants have a link to Horeston property in Parish of Charles, as does the son Thomas, the Younger and his wife Prudence Emilyn.
 I have no idea of its location. Likewise, Mt. Whistle.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Matt, if you are still interested, and others

I think that I have found Horeston, where Thomas Kingdon the Younger died and his wife Prudence died there in 1822.  There is a farm called Oreston, next to Mount Whistle and close to East Buckland.

As Thomas Kingdon the Elder of the Parish of Charles and his wife Christian Maire were both buried in High Bray in 1802 (her Parish), then we now have to look for evidence that they were also living at Oreston, as that seems to be still in the Parish of Charles. The farm house had a number of houses and also a manganese mine.

Their daughter Joanna Kingdon (1749-1807) is my ancestor married to Joseph Kingdon 25 Mar 1771 Charles Church.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End