Author Topic: Kingdons of Devon  (Read 390 times)

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kingdons of Devon
« on: Friday 06 October 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, after years doing the family history and buying more certs than I should have I'm still only back to 1720 with my devon kingdon family and wonder if anyone of more experience can find info on the parents of Matthew Kingdon born 1720 high bray and died 1796 to get me back on right track or info on his earlier descendants,  thanks.   

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdons of Devon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't say 1720 was "only" back. You have done very well.

No amount of certificate buying will get you back further, as this is well before 1837 and the start of Civil Registration.

Your only hope is to find a baptism of Matthew.  Have you searched High Bray Parish Registers?

Out of interest, how did you find he was born 1720 in High Bray , if you haven't found a baptism? !!

Your profile doesn't say where you are, so I don't know if visiting the relevant Record Office is practical. Would certainly be the best approach, then you can wade through PR's for all neighbouring parishes for the appropriate years.
Unless they are online somewhere, but I am sure by now you would have come across them, as you imply you have been researching them a long time!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi lizbd, thanks for getting back to me, along with my own research I found similar trees to me on ancestry list matthew as born 1720 but haven't seen any of them go back further than him, was hoping to break that certain wall.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
And where do they get the information from?   !!!!

Online trees are no source. They can be no more than random guesses that are copied from one person to another.  They are best ignored unless the person can back up their findings with evidence.

Have you got a burial for Matthew with an age? That might at least give an idea of when he was born, although not where.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk