Author Topic: Reported POW (No Date Recorded)  (Read 823 times)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
Reported POW (No Date Recorded)
« on: Friday 06 October 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
My uncle 7888560 Trooper Dennis A W Langmaid Royal Tank Regiment (RTR) was reported missing in the Middle East on the 8th April 1941, his next of kin were informed on the 3rd June 1941. He was reported as a POW (no date recorded) I believe he was taken to Italy, the next factual information that I have is that he reached allied hands (no date recorded) and was Repatriated - Disembarked Transit Camp Liverpool on the 17th March 1944. He must have remained there until the 4th May 1944 when he was posted to 3 Army Selection Centre. My question is how can I find out what happened to him from April 1941 until arriving at Liverpool on 17th March 1944.
Any information or assistance would be most appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation.
Graham
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reported POW (No Date Recorded)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
The National Archives has this guide:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-prisoners-second-world-war-korean-war/

Or you could try Ancestry or FindMyPast?
Ancestry has - UK, British Prisoners of War, 1939-1945.
FindMyPast has - Prisoners Of War 1715-1945.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that advice, supposedly he was in an Italian camp number 70 I believe when the guards walked away, but as Montgomery had said 'Standfast' the senior british officer who was RAMC forbade any to try and escape, so before they knew it the Germans took ownership of thd POW's. My uncle never liked any RAMC after that apparantly. Did this happen to him, did he stay in Italy, did he go on the great trek to Germany, where was he when repatriated? These are all the things that I would love to find out about him.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
This document at Kew http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2581749
does have an entry for him (index only on-line)

MaxD

Modifed - the document is simply a 1943 list.  It has the camp number 78.

Google POW Camp 78 Italy bring up some interesting items
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
I certainly will, thank you. How do I find out if he remained at Camp 78 for thd duration? Any guide!
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure you will ever be sure.  Reading the various personal accounts that come up on line, the experiences vary between those who were in Sulmona throughout their captivity and others who were moved from one or more camps to others.

The return to UK in 1944 leaves a gap between the demise of Sulmona under the Italians in Sept 1943 and repatriation.  Although many of the POWs escaped, many were rounded up by the Germans and taken to other POW camps.

His POW status was confirmed in a casualty list produced 14-26 Aug 1941 (National Archives WO417/29) which updated his "missing" status on 8 April 1941 (WO 417/25).  Frustratingly the list in 471/72 dated 22 Feb-16 Mar 1944 says only "Previously reported as POW in Italian hands, now not POW"  Others in that document are listed  as "now in a neutral country" or "now not reported missing". 

My guess is that he was taken to Germany and, maybe because of illness?? repatriated early.  There is a lot of discussion in the Commons regarding POWS in Germany who had previously been in Italian hands.

Do you have his service record. While it won't answer the question in detail, it may show where he was in the latter part of captivity.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 October 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
No I do not have his service record as such, just dates of where he served, joined etc. His capture as I called this topic had next to it ( no date recorded).  Where would one find passenger lists of those repatriated to Liverpool on say the Arundel Castle, is that on line anywhere? That may tell me where he was repatriated from. I really need his service mecical docs, as I know the family said that he looked awful on his return in comparison to his brother who also returned around thd same time. All things one wishes they had asked many years ago when they were living.
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 October 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
If his record is complete then it will/should include his medical history, more reason to apply for them.

I found a voyage list for the Arundel Castle   http://www.bandcstaffregister.com/page4318.html and the nearest arrival in UK to the March 1944 date was to Liverpool on 21 Feb 1944.  She sailed again for New York on 14 March..There is a passenger list for the 21st Feb arrival at Liverpool, it does not list any repatriated soldiers.  Again a reason to get his record to confirm the arrival date if possible.  You wrote "on say, the Arundel Castle" which suggests you are not certain that was the vessel.

More questions than answers I'm afraid.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 October 17 00:47 BST (UK) »
You really have been a font of all knowledge on this particular subject and I certainly thank you for your information and advice. I only have the date that he landed at Liverpool at the moment, but will find out the actual date and if possible the ship, or maybe who in thd dignitory category welcomed them.
Thanks, so much appreciated
Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen