Author Topic: Anthony Bowron and Mary MacDonald, Romaldkirk  (Read 898 times)

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anthony Bowron and Mary MacDonald, Romaldkirk
« on: Friday 06 October 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
Anthony Bowron married Mary MacDonald in Romaldkirk 23 August 1817. Anthony was a blacksmith.

I have found them on the 1841 to 1861 census returns (Anthony died in 1868), I then have Mary living with a niece (actually niece by marriage) on the 1871 census. Mary died in 1879.

Anthony and Mary had at least 4 children, William, Ann, Jane and Anthony. If Mary is the Mary I think she is there was also a child born before the marriage, George MacDonald born 1810.

George is my direct ancestor but we don't know who his father is. There are no bastardy records that mention Mary or George or Anthony although the bastardy records do appear to be good. All I can conclude is that no complaint was made about the father of the child or that the child's father acknowledged his son and paid maintenance.

My own father has had a DNA test done which has come back with a very unusual male line  haplotype - well that is what the testing company say.

I'd really like to find a male line descendant of Anthony Bowron who either knows his male haplotype or would be willing to have it sequenced. That way we would have more idea about George's paternity!

I also wonder just how rare Dad's male line haplotype actually is .......

Offline patty38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Bowron and Mary MacDonald, Romaldkirk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, don't know if it's of any help but Anthony Bowron & Mary MacDonald were my 3 x gr. grandparents if he was a Blacksmith from Brignall, Yorkshire

I haven't worked on this line for ages but from my records I've got the same marriage and death record as you mention but I think he had 7 children (inc. my 2 x gr grandmother Elizabeth).

The problem I found was that there are 2 Mary Bowron's in or around Brignall on the 1841 census, Mary MacDonald who married to Anthony Bowron and Mary Pratt who married Henry Bowron of Timpton Hill Farm, the two Bowron's must have been related and it got very complicated so I put it too one side for a break. I didn't find any mention of George MacDonald but I'm definitely going to have a look now.

Can't help you with the DNA being female, but thought you might be interested anyway.

Regards
Patty

BRIGGS especially WILLIAM b. 1839 MY GREAT GRANDFATHER and MY BRICK WALL.

Richardson - Northumberland and Durham
Briggs - Durham and Sth Wales
Proud, Chapman - Durham and North Yorkshire
Hetherington - Cumberland/Northumberland and Durham
Eeles - Durham
Blair, Herd - Scotland
Murphy, McKenna, Connery - Ireland
also - Corps - Wear - Hutchinson & Fawell .

Offline patchwitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Bowron and Mary MacDonald, Romaldkirk
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
That is wonderful! I think we could be related as a Mary MacDonald is my 3xGreat-Grandma. I only found the Bowron marriage last week so I have a lot to chase down. This is assuming that the Mary who married Anthony is the same Mary but the place and year of birth do appear to match and I haven't found another Mary baptised in Barningham at the same time.

My line comes down from Mary's son George, born 1810 before Mary and Anthony married. I don't know if George ever lived with his Mother and (step)father, he would have been about 7 when they married.

Mary was the third child of Alexander MacDonald and Margaret Wardell. I think Alexander was the son of another Alexander and Ann Raine.