Author Topic: Christian McGrigor born 1743 Father Donald McGrigor Balquhidder  (Read 1314 times)

Offline numpty1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christian McGrigor born 1743 Father Donald McGrigor Balquhidder
« on: Friday 06 October 17 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am looking for information on my McGRIGOR ancestors from BALQUHIDDER
DONALD McGRIGOR and his wife ***McGRIGOR had a Daughter CHRISTIAN in 1743 in BALQUHIDDER
CHRISTIAN married ARCHIBALD McDIARMID in MOAR FORTINGALL in 1772.
They had a son JOHN McDIARMID in 1777 in GLENMORAN? FORTINGALL.
I cannot get beyond Donald, i do not know his wifes first name( all i know is her surname was McGrigor also) and cannot find out who Donalds parents were as i have no idea of his age when he had Christian.
Is there anyone out there with the same ancestors in their tree who can give me anymore information please.

Thank you

Online bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Christian McGrigor born 1743 Father Donald McGrigor Balquhidder
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Since Fortingall is in Perthshire, have you seen the  baptism of Christian McGregor on 6th March 1743 in Dull, Perthshire, to Donald McGregor and Elspeth Stewart?

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 23:58 BST (UK) »
Duplicate posts here

Theads merged , edited.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline John Andrew Hutchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

First of all, could Glenmoran be Gleann Meurain? It's north of Loch Lyon, with Moar being east of Loch Lyon. The area is now flooded, following the construction of the dam, but there used to be settlements there, such as Invermeurain. It's quite remote, and a long way from Runacraig on Loch Lubnaig. How did you make the connection?

There was a Clan Gregor family who lived at Runacraig for several generations, and during the proscription on the surname they went by the name Buchanan. I can trace them to a couple who married in 1747 called Patrick Buchanan and Catherine Drummond.  Drummond was also an alias, as Catherine was also a MacGregor.

At the time of their marriage there were several families from Clan Gregor living there. They may have been siblings of Patrick, but as Patrick's children appear to be the only descendants to stay on there, I suspect they were from another family living at the same location, possibly Patrick's cousins, and they later moved out of the area. They were; Alexander, John, Robert, and Duncan. All except Duncan used the alias Buchanan, Duncan went by Gregorach, Stirling, and Drummond, as well as Buchanan.

Your Donald appears to have no other entries in the Balquhidder Parish Register. He may have been part of the family above, but he also could have been a shepherd, or farm labourer, who only lived at Runacraig for a few years before moving elsewhere. Did you select him because you know he moved into the Glen Lyon area after 1743?

The registers are not a complete record, especially at the time of the uprising, and the surname proscription makes it hard to trace members of the clan. So, Donald may have had more children at Runacraig, and may have been a member of the family that lived there.

Patrick's family have a tradition of being from the Glengyle branch of the clan, as does mine, and one of his descendants was a neighbour to my ancestors in Glen Buckie. The Glengyles had a habit of living in communities of extended family.

I hope this helps,

John.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:39 BST (UK) »
Interesting post, I had an uncle whose father was a shepherd at Tulloch under the Loch Lyon dam!

Skoosh.

Offline John Andrew Hutchison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just remembered another possible reason why there is only one entry for Donald in the register. In other families I've noticed that a child is sometimes born at the wife's family's home. So, maybe Donald's wife is from the Runacraig family, but they lived elsewhere.

John.