Author Topic: Who was Jane Longworth of Horrocks Fold.  (Read 1831 times)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Jane Longworth of Horrocks Fold.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 October 17 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
It would appear to be her nephew.

From the Wigan Observer  8 Feb 1902

Windfall of thousands for a Bolton soldier.

The bad luck which superstitious folk attach to number thirteen has turned to be good in the case of a Bolton soldier. He is Private Longworth and he is now fighting his countrys battles in South Africa. Thirteen years ago he joined the Welsh Fusiliers, and now through the death of his maiden aunt, he has come into a fortune of thirteen thousand pounds. The lady was Miss Jane Longworth, of Horrock's Fold, Astley Bridge, Bolton and she died a few days ago. Her lucky soldier heir is to be acquainted at once with the good news.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 October 17 01:01 BST (UK) »
Non Conformist registers

Jane daughter of William and Esther Longworth of Horrock's Fold was born August 15th 1829 and Christened Nov 29 1829. Registered Nov 29 1829.

Place Bolton Le Moors Presbyterian.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 October 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
Index of Death Duty Register

Jane Longworth (K.M. 01 3673/6066)
Residence Sharples
Date of Death 26 Aug 1901
Executor J W Longworth
Registry Manchester
No. of Affidavit 6889
Will or Admin A

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 October 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
Another possible child of William & Esther Longworth.
John Longworth, birth reg. 1837, MMN Heywood, sub district Sharples, registers at Bolton.
Possible deaths:
John Longworth  age 9, death reg. 1846  Little Bolton
Ann Longworth   age 28 death reg. 1852  Little Bolton
Ann Longworth   age 28 death reg. 1859  Sharples
Esther Longworth age 60 death reg. 1860 Sharples
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 October 17 02:22 BST (UK) »
Descendants of this possible half-sister of Jane Longworth wouldn't have been counted as heirs.
Baptism Nov. 1817 Hannah Cubbin, daughter of William Longworth & Ann Cubbin, born 9th Sep. 1817. Abode Horrocks Fold, Bolton. Note on entry includes the words: the parents of the child are recorded as Ann Cubbin and as she says "of William Longworth" The baptism was at Bank St. Unitarian Prot. Dissenters Ch., Bolton, same church as children of William & Esther Longworth.
(LANOPC)

Hannah married John Haslam, a quarryman, 1838. They had 11 children. They lived in Dunscar Lane, Turton. Hannah was a widow by 1881; 5 of her children were still with her.
Cowban

Offline dfk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 October 17 07:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for looking, the reason i needed to know was that i suspected she was the aunt of my great grand father John William Longworth and this with other information i now have seems to be the case, jane would have had a brother called John Longworth who i believe died about or near the birth of John William Longworth i.e 1865ish and other family members would have passed away leaving the only heir that being John William Longworth.
He returned from the army (south africa ) smartly when knowing about his aunts death and divorced his wife ( Elizabeth Longworth nee Hughill ) who had been living with another man ( Robert Hutton )for a number of years having children together, John had the other man pay for the divorce due to adultery that very year and just 4 days after the decree absolute my John William Longworth married Lizzie Southern (my great grandmother ) in Marston on the 8th november 1902 and also on the 22nd november in the Fylde register office, Lizzies family came from Marston, Cheshire and after marriage they lived in the Fylde mostly in Fleetwood.
Why they had two weddings , i just dont really know, maybe to please both sides of the family or maybe the wedding in the church at Marston should not have taken place after a divorce but  iam sure someone might be able to fill that bit of info in.
David.
Kearns
Whittaker
Baxter
Birchenough
Longworth
Southern
Astles

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 October 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
Was John William's 1st wedding ceremony for his 2nd marriage in a church?

His father John's occupation on marriage was "gentleman", and that of his father, William, "bleacher". Did William make his money through bleaching rather than farming? He was farming 22 acres in 1861, employing 1 man, so a small farm. William's occupation  was farmer on census returns except for ag. lab. in 1851.
There's a Cubbin's Farm 1/2 mile from Horrocks Fold, opposite side of Belmont Rd. Perhaps home of Ann Cubbin, mother of alleged daughter of William Longworth of Horrocks Fold. The daughter, Hannah named her 3rd son William.

Skipping backwards, there are 2 more baptisms at Bank St. Unitarian Church in Bolton which may be of interest.
June 1785 John Longworth, son of William & Ann, abode Horrocks. A note said that Ann's parents were Roger & Ellen Walker of Dean gate.
Jan. 1790 William Longworth, son of William Longworth & Jane, formerly Walker. Born 17th Nov. 1789.
Bank St. Ch. baptism register has several children of a couple named Roger & Ellen Walker 1750s & '60s but not Ann or Jane.
Cowban