Author Topic: Death of Betty/Betsy McKenzie wife of John Campbell in Lochbroom  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Betty/Betsy McKenzie wife of John Campbell in Lochbroom
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 October 17 03:14 BST (UK) »
From this I would think it could be John Campbell i.e. still alive between 1848 & 1852 possibly?

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/ross-and-cromarty-os-name-books-1848-1852/ross-and-cromarty-mainland-volume-21/3

If you scroll down to the bottom of the pages on those links, the writing you see on the doc has been transcribed.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 October 17 03:30 BST (UK) »
Great thanks Annie.   I have done everything that Gadget told me to do.  I have had research done in Ulapool which is why I have as much information as I do have.  I also went there in July this year which was truly marvellous andwent to Morefield and saw where my g x 4 lived.  I will look at the latest suggestions you have given me.
Where do you live?
Regards Bronwen
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 17 04:28 BST (UK) »
I have done everything that Gadget told me to do

had research done in Ulapool which is why I have as much information as I do have.

Where do you live?

Looks like you have pretty much exhausted all avenues.

I live near(ish) to Inverkeithing  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 October 17 06:25 BST (UK) »
You must be a real night owl.  I have the Ross' and Sutherland's from Fearn and various other bits to look at yet. 

Regards Bronwen
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 October 17 05:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have done more delving over Betsy/Betty and have found two possibilities in R&C.  However still no death certificate of Betty from 1851 (she is not on 1861 census on) onwards that would help ascertain which one it might be.   
MACKENZIE BETTY DUNCAN MACKENZIE/HELEN PATERSON   F 26/08/1795 085/10 133   Urray   
MACKENZIE BETTY HUGH MACKENZIE/HELEN CAMPBEL  FR 70 (FR70) F26/04/1796   073/10 63   Knockbain   

Still trying to find the births of Betty and John's children: Betsy, Ann, Norman, Alexis, Catherine.  I understand they were all born at Airdmair in Lochbroom.  I have now found the deaths of some of them. I could only find 7 deaths of a Campbell in R&C between 1823 and 1855 which seems pretty odd.

I do have the census for every year except 1851 where I couldn't find any of them (see below), I haven't found them all on the other census but have certainly looked across R&C.  I also have  the census for Joseph who moved away and had a large family, he was my gggg grandparent

Census
1841 Lochbroom Betsy is 45
1861 Norman 29, Ann 36, Eliza 34 and John Fraser 8 living at Lochbroom 19 ? Ullapool
1871 Norman 35 crofter, Ann 46 servant, Eliza servant, John Fraser 17 farm servant 17 Morefield
1881 Norman crofter, Eliza 50 house keeper, Catherine 47 general servant domestic, John Fraser 26 assistant.  Rooms with 1 or more windows – 2, hamlet of Kenachrine, Coigach
1891 Norman 55 crofter or fisherman, Catherine 57 housekeeper to brother, John Fraser 28 fisherman.  Rooms with 1 or more windows - 2  (crofters house)
1901 John Fraser 46 crofter and general labourer, Catherine 63 listed as crofter’s aunt of John Fraser.  Rooms with 1 or more windows – 2
1911 John Fraser 54

Many thanks Bronwen ChCh NZ

1823 Betsy Campbell
1825 Ann Campbell  40 years old at marriage (says she was 36 on marriage cert )
M:1865 Dec 5th Donald Paterson, Ploughman, at the Free Church Manse, Ullapool, by G MacLeod, Lochbroom.  She made her mark, John MacLeod and Norman Campbell were witness Donald’s parents were John & Mary (Macdonald) Paterson tenants (register to hand)
D:1893 Jan 1st Ann (wife of Donald Paterson farm servant) Norman Campbell brother signed (register to hand)
1831 Elizabeth Campbell (register to hand)
D:1887 Jan 27th Elizabeth Campbell, housekeeper, Norman Campbell signs (register to hand)
1831 April 24th Joseph Campbell (register to hand)
1836 Norman Campbell (tenanted crofts 15 & 16 in 1892, then John Fraser tenanted both?)
D:1900 June 1st Norman Campbell, crofter, Morefield, Lochbroom,nephew John Fraser signed (register to hand)
1836 Alexis Campbell
1840 Catherine Campbell who had an illegitimate son John Fraser born in Dores, Inverness in 1857 to James Fraser (John Fraser lived at croft 16 until his death 26 March 26th 1931 – died at Pultney St, Ulapool age 78 -death certificate to hand)
D:1908 Sept 26th Catherine Campbell, pauper, 75, John Fraser, nephew signed (register to hand)