Author Topic: Death of Betty/Betsy McKenzie wife of John Campbell in Lochbroom  (Read 2703 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Betty/Betsy McKenzie wife of John Campbell in Lochbroom
« on: Saturday 07 October 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Trying to find Betsy/Betty's parents possibly:
MCKENZIE   BETTY   GEORGE MCKENZIE/ELSPETH WRIGHT   [/color]F   19/02/1786   432/    20 78   Inverkeithing

Her and her husband are listed on the 1841 census in Lochbroom but not in 1851.

Betty/Betsy McKenzie wife of John Campbell mother of Joseph
B:1795 March 29th Alva -not absolutely sure that this is her birth. Seems a long way away from where she married? 
M:1817 Dec 18th Lochbroom parish, Ross & Cromarty (Ardmair listed as parish) (register to hand)
D:
Census
1841 Lochbroom
Children 7
1823 Betsy Campbell
1825 Ann Campbell
1831 Elizabeth Campbell (register to hand)
1831 April 24th Joseph Campbell
1836 Norman Campbell (tenanted crofts 15 & 16 in 1892, then John Fraser tenanted both?)
1836 Alexis Campbell
1840 Catherine Campbell who had an illegitimate son John Fraser born in Dores, Inverness in 1857 to James Fraser (John lived at croft 16 until his death) death certificate to hand, 26March 26th 1931 – died at Pultney St, Ulapool age 78

Thanks Bronwen summers, CHCh NZ
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Betty/Betsy McKenzie wife of John Campbell in Lochbroom
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwen,

Trying to find Betsy/Betty's parents possibly:
MCKENZIE   BETTY   GEORGE MCKENZIE/ELSPETH WRIGHT   F   19/02/1786   432/    20 78   Inverkeithing

Her and her husband are listed on the 1841 census in Lochbroom but not in 1851.

Betty/Betsy McKenzie
B:1795 March 29th Alva -not absolutely sure that this is her birth. Seems a long way away from where she married? 
M:1817 Dec 18th Lochbroom parish, Ross & Cromarty (Ardmair listed as parish)

Inverkeithing (Fife) & Alva (Stirling) are both a long way from Lochbroom (Ross & Cromarty).

If you check the 1841 (https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl)

Piece: SCT1841/75 Place: Lochbroom -Ross and Cromarty Enumeration District: 10
Civil Parish: Lochbroom Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 0 Page: 11
Address: Morefield

CAMPBELL Betsy    45 Ross and Cromarty   

If you're looking at the original from SP it will indicate 'Yes' or 'Y' below the column which says 'Born in County'

So Betsy/Betty/Elizabeth/Elisabeth/Bessy/Bessie (all variants to look for) was (if the info. in 1841 is correct) born in R & C.

Annie        

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

The records for Lochbroom parish don't go back any further than the 1790s, so birth/marriage will most likely not be found. I know of people who've been to the National Archives in Edinburgh and searched through various records there and found some information but it is difficult.

If they died before 1855, they might also not be recorded in the parish records. Monumental inscriptions are the best source in these cases.

http://www.dustydocs.com/county/2/scotland/174/ross-and-cromarty.html
(scroll to Lochbroom)

Also, the Ullapool Museum does have a large range of sources and do do research ~

http://www.ullapoolmuseum.co.uk/

(Morefield is just to the NW of Ullapool itself)

Gadget

Added - jut realised that I gave similar advice on your previous thread - sorry for repetition   :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 October 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if you have any of the family in R & C or Scotland after 1841?

There were many people who immigrated in the late 1840s.

Do you have any of the children marrying in Scotland after 1855 which would let you know if the parents were alive/deceased?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 October 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your time and helpful responses.  I was in Ulapool in July this year and had the wonderful volunteers help me with various aspects of all of this.  I had contacted them in January of this year.  I have been to Morefield and photographed the croft house that this family lived in which was truly fantastic.

I know she was born in R&C so knew although it was far away perhaps it was Inverkeithing.  I regularly check  maps to see distances.   

I will look again at dusty docs, I am almost sure they won't have any doubt headstone because they were very poor.  But I do want  to look into the parish records that may have some record there.  I understand that Scotland's People are working on releasing Parish records on their  site.

Yes I do have family in R&C after 1841.  The son Joseph married in 1857 (I have the register for this both parents are recorded as being deceased) Joseph and family remained in R&C.  He was the only one of the  7 children to marry and is part of my direct  line.

I will check more carefully and cover all the names suggested:  Betsy/Betty/Elizabeth/Elisabeth/Bessy/Bessie

Kind regards
Bronwen Summers CHCH, NZ
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 October 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
I know she was born in R&C so knew although it was far away perhaps it was Inverkeithing.  I regularly check  maps to see distances.   

If she was born R & C then she was definitely not born in Inverkeithing.
I have just looked at the distance & time (by todays travel via motorway) which would probably be a third of the time taken back then...

"3 h 40 min (196.4 mi) via A9"

Just because it's the only one you found (recorded) it doesn't mean it's your ancestor but in the same token (without any proof) it doesn't mean it's not but doubtful  :-\

Annie

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 17 02:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie, yes I realise it doesn't mean it is  my ancestor consequently I wouldn't add her in.  I am still working on trying to find a death for her or her husband John.  They lived at croft No. 16 in Morefield for all of their married life.  I have been working on this all morning to no avail.  Have checked all the possible names: Betsy/Betty/Bessie/Bessy/Elizabeth/Elisabeth.

I am astonished that I cannot find them (perhaps they had died)  but any of the family living in Ullapool (Morfield)  in the '51 census.  I know they were there because one of the children took over the croft and ultimately the illegitimate child of the youngest daughter lived there until about 1925.

Oh well it is raining so I can't be in my large lovely garden.

Regards Bronwen

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 17 02:53 BST (UK) »
Bronwen,

Official Registration of BMDs in Scotland began 1855 i.e. very few records are to be found prior to then in OPRs (Old Parochial Records) especially deaths.

Gadget has given you the best advice from her experience...

The records for Lochbroom parish don't go back any further than the 1790s, so birth/marriage will most likely not be found. I know of people who've been to the National Archives in Edinburgh and searched through various records there and found some information but it is difficult.

If they died before 1855, they might also not be recorded in the parish records. Monumental inscriptions are the best source in these cases.

http://www.dustydocs.com/county/2/scotland/174/ross-and-cromarty.html
(scroll to Lochbroom)

Also, the Ullapool Museum does have a large range of sources and do do research ~

http://www.ullapoolmuseum.co.uk/

(Morefield is just to the NW of Ullapool itself)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile