Author Topic: How do I find newspaper articles from 2009 (Canberra Times)?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
How do I find newspaper articles from 2009 (Canberra Times)?
« on: Saturday 07 October 17 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for  some newspaper articles (court cases) from 2009 ( Canberra Times).
Where do I go to fully access/search all their editions from this year?
Without going into it fully ( person is living), I would like to find the court's outcome of a case that was in the papers in 2009.
Thanks for any help
Kind Regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find newspaper articles from 2009 (Canberra Times)?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
The Canberra Times for 2009 should be available on microfilm at most State Libraries.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/version/36146393
eg: The Canberra Times should be easily accessible at the NSW State Library where most newspapers are on microfilm in cabinets (at the back wall) located on the lower level of the library. Articles can be printed or saved directly to a USB/memory stick (which is very useful).

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 October 17 15:06 BST (UK) »
Cell, if you have an idea of the publication dates you are after, and have problems getting into town, it may be worth emailing the Ask a Librarian service at your capital city state library, to send you the scans.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 October 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
Cell, if you have an idea of the publication dates you are after, and have problems getting into town, it may be worth emailing the Ask a Librarian service at your capital city state library, to send you the scans.

Dawn M
Hi Dawn ,thank you.
I do have an exact date when it first went to court, the newspaper article that I have  says the person was refused bail because of the possible threat to the victims (in so many words), and to appear *next month-*This is the article I would like to access,so I do not a date for that( it could be anything 1 week , two, or four weeks from the exact date that The person was first in court)
 It is not only the outcome of the case I would like to know. In the newspaper article I have, it says the defendant has previous convictions.
(I'm way outside Brisbane city, where our state library is )
Do you think it's worth emailing the reporter (who was a legal affairs reporter)  who wrote the article that I have? (he's still active) , or not advisable?

Kind Regards:)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 October 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
Cell, I guess you could try contacting the relevant reporter, but there'd be no guarantee that they would reply or give you the info you want.

Why not try SLQ's Ask a Librarian.  the SLQ has Canberra Times on film up till 30 June this year.
I'd give them all the info you already have and tell them what you are looking for.  They are usually pretty obliging.  Don't forget to let them know your location, too, and that you can't get into town to do it yourself.

I'll send you a little more by PM
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
You could also try some keywords in the search function on the website (www.canberratimes.com.au). There seems reasonable correlation between print and electronic versions over the last decade at least. Even if the article you want is behind a paywall, it could help narrow down the date of the follow up article you want.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 17 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to all of you that replied  ,It's very much appreciated.

Kind Regards: )