Author Topic: Looking for the birth/baptism for James Dansey Reeves abt 1896  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the birth/baptism for James Dansey Reeves abt 1896
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 October 17 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hello wivenhoe,

I thank you so very much for your assistance which has been invaluable as has Gerry's & Dundee. 

Based on your recommendation I purchased the death certificate that demonstrates James George REEVES & James Dansey/Dunsey REEVES are one and the same which is a win as it resolves an anomaly.

I do think in some instances James deliberately sought to mislead; the reasons for which I don't know nor possibly will ever know.  I say this because he deliberately gave different information in an official record [his marriage] for his name and his mother.  That says to me a deliberate attempt to mislead.

It's not such an issue other than I do not like anomalies in my family tree; nothing more and nothing less.

Now the detective in me is curious as to his birth........ :o it never stops  ;D :D

I will return to the other related post  to see if I can take that forward to close any gaps in knowledge.

Once again thanks so much for your efforts on my behalf.  :)

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 October 17 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hello again Wivenhoe,

Have been pondering James ? Reeves and it occurs to me that perhaps James didn't know his real name or his moth wish ters maiden name or his father's occupation.  There are many instances when people have found out things about themselves or their family much later in life so I concur; perhaps James was not telling fibs.

I don't wish to judge and now realise I fell into a trap of judging without all the facts.  :o :'(

Westy

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 17 07:05 BST (UK) »
I think that sometime in the late 1930s/early 1940s James has acquired a copy of his birth cert.  The names of his parents given by the informant when he died are probably taken from that certificate.

The name Dansey/Danzil or similar appears to be a family name and that is how he came to be using it.  He may have thought that it was his name through association with the family.

Here he is in 1911:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW8P-7LJ

His cousin by the same name, born 1910 (father Alfred was William Snr's brother)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWDW-5RW
The middle name is clearly 'Danzil' on the original.

His uncle's baptism in 1882, same name:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J7RM-L4S

Debra  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 October 17 07:16 BST (UK) »

".. I do not like anomalies in my family tree; nothing more and nothing less.

Now the detective in me is curious as to his birth......."

Can you appreciate the irony of this?. It is the anomalies that give you a clue to possibilities to follow in your research.

You are fortunate to see these two names recorded for origins, and events in the life, of your James REEVES.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 October 17 07:16 BST (UK) »
Ah Debra,

You are the gift that keeps on giving! :) :) :)

I had also come to that same conclusion given I had found a son named after his father indicating a family name of some importance.

Although I have a great grandfather who went by many names none of which he was baptised with and was really inconsistent in the naming and registering of his many children born to his wife [my great grandmother] and a number of other women.

He used variations of his father's middle name with the naming of a few of his children so his origins must have been important to him and perhaps he lacked the skill of attention to detail?   ;D

My example of finding out many years later what is ones real name.   ;D

Once again you have been wonderful in sorting out this apparent anomaly.

Regards,

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 October 17 07:18 BST (UK) »

".. I do not like anomalies in my family tree; nothing more and nothing less.

Now the detective in me is curious as to his birth......."

Can you appreciate the irony of this?. It is the anomalies that give you a clue to possibilities to follow in your research.

You are fortunate to see these two names recorded for origins, and events in the life, of your James REEVES.

Ah Wivenhoe and that's exactly why I went looking because of the anomalies.

We are on the same page and many thanks for contributing greatly to the resolution of this query.

Westy

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
I am distantly related to this family, with Henry Booker (a 4xGgf of mine) being a 2xGgf to James George Reeves.

James George Reeves had an uncle James Danziel Reeves, born 1882 at Beckenham.

As has been previously noted the name Danziel has been a family name for some time.  The first note I have is of Danzel (more commonly used in earlier records) Booker born 1829 at Otford, Kent.  Not sure of the origin of Danz(i)el or whether there are any earlier examples.

William Alfred Reeves married Elizabeth Emma Chalf on 25 December 1889 at All Saints Church, Newington, Surrey.

Maybe of some help,
Tony

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony,

You then have cousins in Australia as a result of James & Sarah's union.

Westy

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
Joining a fairly large club!  Quite a few Bookers settled in Queensland and sadly, my brother passed away in the Sunshine State about 18 months ago.

Most of my relatives seem to have taken a liking to Queensland.  I have a few scattered across the world but the majority have settled on Oz.

I haven't done much work on my paternal side of late but, if you want any help on the Bookers (a nightmare) please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Tony - 2nd Ggs of a Booker.