Author Topic: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?  (Read 23476 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Are there two types of UK birth certificate?
« Reply #45 on: Friday 13 October 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
It's not unlike the process for getting married in England, where you're interviewed by the registrars together and separately and have to answer questions about each other.  As with the IPS, they're establishing that you are who you say you are (and that the relationship is genuine, in the case of marriage).

All perfectly sensible and not too arduous, in my opinion.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 13 October 17 19:18 BST (UK) »

Are they actually going to interview everyone over 16 who wants a first passport?  There will be a huge backup.

Yes. They took on extra staff and opened extra local offices to deal with this.
Elwyn

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 14 October 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
To be fair, it was not too much bother ( apart from the 126 mile round trip, morning off work etc)  and the passport arrived with us 2 days later.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 14 October 17 13:40 BST (UK) »

Are they actually going to interview everyone over 16 who wants a first passport?  There will be a huge backup.

Yes. They took on extra staff and opened extra local offices to deal with this.

It didn't apply to my daughter when she got her first adult passport .
but she's has a passport since she was about 3 months.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 14 April 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
There are more than two types, because the discussion so far has related to the certificates issued in England and Wales, and the ones issued in Scotland are different*. There are also Northern Irish certificates, and people born in Northern Ireland before 1922 have Irish birth certificates.

*Scottish birth certificates have always included the actual time of birth, not just the date, and in 1855 and since 1860 they also state the date and place of the parents' marriage (unless of course they weren't married).

As in England and Wales, the Registrar issues a short certificate which does not include the parents' details, and a full certificate with all information is available for a fee.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 14 April 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
Adding to the confusion, please remember that Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man are not in the UK, and issue their own Birth Certificates.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 14 April 19 22:02 BST (UK) »
Adding to the confusion, please remember that Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man are not in the UK
Indeed. Which is why I didn't mention them above :) Or Herm, Sark or Alderney.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 14 April 19 22:08 BST (UK) »
Adding to the confusion, please remember that Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man are not in the UK
Indeed. Which is why I didn't mention them above :) Or Herm, Sark or Alderney.
OK! Maybe I should have said the States of Guernsey (which covers Herm, Sark & Alderney!) and the States of Jersey ;D ;D

I paid a visit to the Isle of Man Civil Registry just this week.
For a fee of £5.50, I was able to search the 1885 Register of Births, and photograph the required entry. Only available in person, of course. :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 15 April 19 08:34 BST (UK) »
I paid a visit to the Isle of Man Civil Registry just this week.
For a fee of £5.50, I was able to search the 1885 Register of Births, and photograph the required entry. Only available in person, of course. :D
Was the £5.50 a per visit or a per certificate fee?