Poll

who can help me?

Captain Mackenzie
0 (0%)
Scotland
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Research to captain (Merchant ship) Mackenzie who was born in 1790 in Scotland  (Read 578 times)

Offline Shirley de Vrede

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Hello!
My name is Shirley de Vrede from the Netherlands. I am doing a research to the great grandfather of my grandmother, captain Mackenzie born in 1790 in Scotland. In 1815 he went with his friend Carl Simon, who was a sailor on the merchant ship to Asia. In 1817 he married to an Asian woman from Malacca and they got a son named William August Mackenzie and who was born in 1819. In 1825 Captain Mackenzie had to go back to Scotland but couldn't take his wife and son to Scotland, so he broke up his marriage. Carl Simon married that woman and adopted their son and gave him his surname Simon.
Is there anyone else who read this and think this story sounds familiar than maybe you can help me with it. Kind regards, Shirley

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Research to captain (Merchant ship) Mackenzie who was born in 1790 in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley & welcome to Rootschat  ;)

Can you please share with us the forename of Captain MacKenzie & the name of the ship he was on?

Do you have paperwork with the child's name?

The reason I ask is, the name 'August' may have been Angus?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Research to captain (Merchant ship) Mackenzie who was born in 1790 in Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 October 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
I found an 1824 newspaper article where Malacca is mentioned. Image attached but it's a bit smudgy I'm afraid.

Domestic Intelligence .
The Inverness Courier, and General Advertiser for the Counties of Inverness, Ross, Moray, Nairn, Cromarty, Sutherland and Caithness (Inverness, Scotland), Thursday, April 08, 1824; pg. 2; Issue 332. British Library Newspapers, Part V: 1746-1950.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 October 17 01:15 BST (UK) »
Mackenzie isn't an unusual surname and we don't know whether he was an army captain, or a captain of a merchant ship, or a captain of a navy ship. 

During that era daily newspapers published every ship and its captain entering and leaving ports but no initials or given names were published, so if your ancestor was the master of a ship we need the name of the ship.

Coincidentally, at that time there was a ship named "Malacca" but its captain wasn't Mackenzie during the years that I searched the newspapers.

I don't know about naval personnel but army personnel had to ask permission to marry and several months ago I saw a thread which concerned a British soldier stationed abroad who married a European who lived near the army barracks.  That soldier had to apply for permission to bring his foreign wife back to Britain - this would probably be the case for all foreign wives and would be extremely difficult if Britain was on unfriendly terms with her country's rulers.

Best Wishes in your search.
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 October 17 04:09 BST (UK) »
Could these be connected?...

May have been a good reason to return to Scotland?

W G MacKenzie/William G MacKenzie, Resident of Malacca

Thinking the son was named William so..  :-\

26 May 1826-27 May 1826
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/a7032553-81d5-4c13-8c61-dac75b5a472e

1 Jun 1826-3 Aug 1826
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/ac0dcb71-c044-422c-88e1-b74e025cdc7c

20 Jun 1827
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/183b9603-70b8-43b9-869a-3ac17084b455

A bit of a difference in dates i.e. depends on accuracy  :-\

"William August Mackenzie and who was born in 1819. In 1825 Captain Mackenzie had to go back to Scotland"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"