Author Topic: Scott Family of Whitchurch/Creslow 17C  (Read 803 times)

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott Family of Whitchurch/Creslow 17C
« on: Saturday 07 October 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
While researching the wider Holt family that I know have to connect to my direct line in some way I came across this:

CLIFFORD PAPERS - Reference: Add MS 65141 - British Library
ff. 100-101v Ephraim Holt, of Dinton, county Buckinghamshire: Avis Scott, of Creslow, county Buckinghamshire: Thomas Scott, of Creslow, county Buckinghamshire: Creslow, Buckinghamshire: Agreement rel. to farm lease at Creslow between Avis Scott, Thomas Scott and Ephraim Holt: 1704: Copy.

Ephraim Holt had a daughter named Avis baptised at Dinton in 1698. There is also the name Scott Holt in the 1720's and 30's. I am wondering is Avis Scott was an older generation of the Holt family. I haven't yet been able to find anything else about Avis or the family apart from what I have below. She did leave a will, proved in 1708 but I wanted to see if I can find any other information before ordering it as it may not even connect to any Holt's. Thomas Scott had clearly died by 1704 (the date of the above document) - I think his name appears becuase he was on the lease. I'm wondering in Ephraim decided to help out as Avis was 71 at the time although it looks as if a possible son (Thomas Scott, gentleman of Creslow) inherited from this family line (also possibly the Thomas in the above agreement)

Any help appreciated.

Richard

Buried in Whitchurch

Avis Scott
d. 7th Jan 1707 aged 74 - b.1633

Thomas Scott
d. 23rd April 1699 aged 63 - b.1636

Hannah Scott - daughter of Thomas and Avis
d. 29th March 1699 age 20 - b.1679

Offline riholt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Family of Whitchurch/Creslow 17C
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
Ok... so the will shows that Avis and Thomas Scott were parents-in-law to Ephraim Holt. He married their daughter Mary (no marriage in parish records in Bucks).

The document at the British Library must have been Avis transfering property (tenancy?) over to Ephraim and Mary as she was elderly and died shortly thereafter.