Author Topic: David Mclean  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Fiona power

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Mclean
« on: Sunday 08 October 17 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for help in finding birth details and names of parents for David McLean born abt 1791
Fife Scotland, parish Inverkeithing.  The details I have come from census. He married Hannah Finlayson 1809 and the line I am following is his son Daniel McLean born 1812
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I recently had contact from a cousin on this site and we have discovered a whole new family to get to know

Cheers Fiona

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: David Mclean
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 October 17 04:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

It may be best to ask for this to be moved to the Fife Board via 'Report to Mod' button on the right of your post?

Meanwhile...

http://fifefhs.123guestbook.com/

They have a new site which details are given on the 1st entry.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

I know your post was some time ago but did you ever find out any further details on David Mclean in Fife?

Best regards

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 24 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Noting that Hannah Finlayson or McLean died in Dunfermline in 1867, and that she was in Dunfermline in the 1851 and 1861 censuses as a widow, could he be the David McLean, aged 54, who died on 2 November 1843 and was buried in Dunfermline on 6 November 1843?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 24 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It's funny but that is exactly the line I've been investigating for the last few hours. I've been updating the familysearch tree as I go along and I reckon that David was probably born in 1789 in Fortingall, Perth, Scotland:

David Mclean 24 August 1789 – 2 November 1843  •  975N-CSX

Very much a work in progress at this moment....

Best regards

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 24 08:10 GMT (UK) »
I reckon that David was probably born in 1789 in Fortingall, Perth, Scotland.
But the 1841 census says your David McLean was born in Fife, not in Perthshire.

It is possible, indeed probable, that he is one of those whose baptism record, if it ever existed, has not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 24 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are probably right about the non-surviving birth record, but I note that the 1841 census record also said that David was 50 years old and his wife 45.

Early Census records are not always 100% reliable.

I'll probably continue along the Fortingall path until a 1789 Fife born David Mclean turns up.

Still a work in progress but thank you very much for your help - if you have any more thoughts and info. please let me know.

best regards

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 24 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Early Census records are not always 100% reliable.
Indeed, partly because in 1841 adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years.

Offline Ronda231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

After some further investigation, I'm inclined to agree with you regarding the 1841 Census birthplace info (Fife).

On checking the Aberdour Parish Marriage entry image for David Mclean/Hannah Finlayson from the Scotlandspeople website, I noted that on the same page there is an entry for the marriage of one Margaret Mclean/Robert Scott dated 18-12-1808.
As Aberdour was a small parish and Mclean was not a common surname at that time, it is not unreasonable to assume that these two Mcleans were from the same family (brother & sister) and I have updated the Familysearch tree on that basis.

A copy of the relevant Scotlandspeople image is shown below:

Regards