Author Topic: Should I delete my account?  (Read 6961 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Should I delete my account?
« on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
I have my tree on ancestry, mainly to have an "off site" backup for my tree.  I have not scanned in my sources, just put i a reference in the comments.  I guess it is just laziness re scanning but I have so much to work on and I was researching for about 11 years before I put anything on ancestry so scanning is not my priority.  .

I have now been involved in a discussion on a genealogy group on FB where someone was asking why someone wouldn't have the certificates.  A few of us commented saying they may do but haven't scanned them in and I explained how I worked with my certificates.  The OP has complained that people like me create a terrible mess on ancestry, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site.  I really can't face the mountain of scanning that would be involved but now I feel really bad and anxious.  I don't want to spoil another person's hobby and definitely don't want to ruin a website.  Should I delete my trees and my account to tidy it up? what then is the best, and cheapest way to have an offsite backup?
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: Should I delete my account?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
Gee PharmaT then I would have to delete my trees too.  :o ???
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
I'd have told the Op to go whistle.

If you were asked, you can provide the source reference. That's more than enough for another who wishes to verify the connection to get their own copy of the original.

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Probably just looking for a cheap way to obtain certificates.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
On ancestry I only have the links to the census and other information they provide. I do not upload photos, certificates etc. I have these scanned and saved to my pc and part of my family tree software. It is not your or my responsibility to do another,persons work for them. Don’t be brow beaten by their comments. I do share information with others once they have proved a close connection to a relative.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:20 BST (UK) »
On ancestry I only have the links to the census and other information they provide. I do not upload photos, certificates etc. I have these scanned and saved to my pc and part of my family tree software. It is not your or my responsibility to do another,persons work for them. Don’t be brow beaten by their comments. I do share information with others once they have proved a close connection to a relative.
Regards panda

Oh absolutely, if someone contacted me about a specific ancestor I'd send them the information.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:57 BST (UK) »
The OP has complained that people like me create a terrible mess on ancestry, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site.

I would tell the OP that you have spent your hard earned cash on buying certificates at £9.25 each and do not intend to put them on Ancestry so people like the OP can get the information for nothing.  The OP is obviously one of the young generation who think they are entitled to anything and everything without putting up the cash or doing the work.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Ignore them.

When you see the mess some trees are in on there and you're told you're spoiling it for other people - poppycock.

You carry on how you want to, as long as you can verify the facts and are happy with the way you work -  well ignore the rest. If they carry on moaning on FB stop going to that particular site.

I'm on Ancestry and I don't think you're wrong in what you do.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
We don't give in to bullies, do we?

Especially not when the bullies are trying to get something for nothing out of your honest hard work - which you've paid for!  If anyone's 'spoiling' or 'ruining' anything, it's them with their nasty attitude >:(
Don't let the buggers grind you down ;D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch