Author Topic: Should I delete my account?  (Read 6963 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Should I delete my account?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 October 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
The OP has complained that people like me create a terrible mess on ancestry, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site

And it's people like the OP that create a terrible atmosphere on FB, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site.

People who believe there is no valid opinion other than their own are not worth giving head space to.  Ignore her and carry on as you have done.   As others have said, she is a bully, pure and simple.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 October 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
Pharma, why are you so worried about what other people (strangers) think about how you manage your tree and what you do and don't put on it? Tell them that what you do is your business and if they don't like it, don't look at your tree. By even thinking about removing your tree from Ancestry or changing how you do it, you are succumbing to bullying. There is no right or wrong way in this hobby, it is how it suits you. If you are really that concerned about what others think, just make your tree private - that way they won't see any of it!

As others have said, the reason they are probably complaining is that by adding all sources and certificates etc, you make it easy for them. They don't have to check things for themselves, they just download them and if it is certificates they save themselves money and do it on the cheap. Perhaps your counter argument to them should be that you are very surprised that they don't like the fun of seeking out and checking information for themselves rather than taking things at face value.

Ignore them and don't give them another thought. Continue to do things how you want, don't get into any arguments - just don't use that particular forum on Facebook.

It was drummed into me from an early age that I had to take responsibility for other's upset. If ever another child was crying I was sent to apologise for them being upset. I wasn't taken to places again if my mum thought to many were upset. I know my mum wouldn't believe me but I have constantly tried to make amends but constantly fail miserably. It causes me much anxiety.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 October 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
I agree with all that's been said about the OP on facebook. 
My advice would also be to leave the facebook group rather than ancestry.

My own tree is online, but on my own website, not on ancestry, or any other "tree-provider sites".
I have thumbnail images (100x70px) of one birth certificate, one marriage certificate and one death certificate. If I do have certificates for these events, I add the thumbnail(s), to the biography pages, but never the certificates themselves. The thumbnail images are merely a short-hand way of saying "yes, I do have the certificate for this event." People can magnify the thumbnails as much as they want, all they see is a blurred image.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 October 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
It was drummed into me from an early age that I had to take responsibility for other's upset.
Not in this case you don't.  The OP's upset is self inflicted, because they have a distorted idea of what is right or wrong, and is trying to "sell" his/her view as being the only one.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 October 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
As others have said please ignore these bullies. Lots of lazy "researchers" out there who just want to freeload and not do any of the work or spend money for themselves.

Personally, I keep my tree on Ancestry private but am willing to share with those who can prove (through their own research) that we have a common ancestor. I recently had occasion to email a lady who had just copied from another persons tree supposed details of my G.G.Aunt. They had this lady married and going to New Zealand. Utter rubbish she lived and died in Scotland and never married and I have the certificates to prove it. In fact I had met up with her Gt. Nephew the week before and he actually knew her. The lady in question could not give me her relationship to my family and said it was too remote for Ancestry to calculate. She informed me that she had been researching her tree for a couple of years and had over 6000 people in it  ??? ??? At least she had the decency to change her tree and I pointed her in the direction of Scotlandspeople where she could obtain the certificates for herself. The original perpetrator of this misinformation refuses to change her tree  :'( :'(

Just one example of what can happen on Ancestry with those who copy others without obtaining their own proof.

Our trees are our own to record as we wish so please Pharma take no notice of those on facebook who tell you differently and please, please do not delete your tree.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 08 October 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
The trees I put on Ancestry are just exports from my family tree software. There are no attached images. If I upload a fresh version, which I do often, then re-attaching image files would take me about five years.
The contents of a certificate I've purchased are normally transcribed into my software and the scan of the certificate is referenced. Whether the transcription makes it into the stuff that Ancestry keeps seems to have varied over the years.
In any case, such certificates have a repository of "Alston certficates file". The paper copies are stuck in a box file, in no particular order, because the electronic version is what I actually use.
If anyone wants to see such a certificate, then I am usually happy to email the image.

When it comes to my One Name Study, the contents of the Ancestry tree are very similar, but I make the scans of the certificates available on my own website. Another copy of my data is available without subscription on RootsWeb, which retains a lot more of the detail I upload. That detail includes the names of the image files as they appear on my laptop, so if there is an image that I've not got round to placing on my website, anyone can ask me for it.

So I'm probably more liberal than most when making things available. My reasoning is along the lines of:
  • I've already paid for this research.
  • I would have paid even if nobody else ever looked at it.
  • I'm proud of my research and happy for others to see it.
  • If it helps them on their way to the truth, all the better.

I may be lucky in not coming in contact with anyone "in denial". Most of my conversations have been with people who are happy to accept reasoning backed up by evidence. Many of these conversations have been started by me, pointing out where they have made mistakes and telling them where better evidence is to be found.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 08 October 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Seems to me some people are of the belief their subscription fees entitle them to FREE certs. etc. paid for by others but for them to receive them for FREE  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 08 October 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Now that you've viewed the responses, I hope you're now less anxious Pharma and can feel free in doing what tens of thousands of others are also doing when they upload their trees without sources and uploading attachments.

My advice would be to think possibly that the OPs were generally having a bad day and were venting their frustration on any remote audience.

I certainly wouldn't take down my tree as I uploaded it with a view to distant cousins making contact with me.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 08 October 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Your tree on Ancestry is there for you to manage as you please. You don't even have to share it with anyone at all if you don't want to. The fact that you may have used information gained from sources other than Ancestry doesn't mean that you are obliged to share them.  What kind of logic says that you have to do that just because someone else says so?

Concerning the person who finds the fact that you don't want to put everything you've ever paid for on your Ancestry tree to be some kind of personal affront;  that is entirely their own problem, not yours.  Nobody has the right not to be offended.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk