Author Topic: Should I delete my account?  (Read 6918 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Should I delete my account?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
...So, ... don't worry. We all feel rather the same about you and your Ancestry tree. Tell that Facebook Lot to " remove themselves elsewhere" and listen to advice from people who value the same things. As others have said, your sources should stay private - I certainly don't put any sources on Ancestry, and wouldn't do so.
Stay true to yourself. Don't take it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
Ditto Threfall
-------------------------------------------------
what a load of !!!!

How dare they  -- lazy good for nothings...

Its absolutely none of their business what you put on your tree.

and your tree BELONGS TO YOU  not Ancestry or the world.

We have so many incorrect trees on Ancestry already without them attempting to blame you  -
I am beginning to not worry that the top rung is getting closer (or maybe that is the bottom rung )

xin

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:38 BST (UK) »
I did try and argue that I was only responsible for the accuracy of my tree and not that of others but was told I was being selfish, arrogant and shouldn't be allowed.

If someone started using insults like that because they aren't getting what they want, I would reply as diplomatically and belittlingly as I could.  They may dislike the way you run your tree, but so what?

The more important thing is that the tree you publish is based on the best facts you can find.  Plenty of others aren't.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 08 October 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
I agree with all the responses, PharmaT.

Sometimes the best way to deal with someone can be to say - cheerfully - "well, we'll have to agree to differ.  I believe I don't need to scan and enter my certs and therefore I'm not going to, nor am I going to delete my Ancestry tree.  You're fine to hold another opinion, but I'm not going to discuss it any more"

And move on.

Lots of folk hold different opinions, but we can still live our lives as we believe is right for us, and they can do the same. 
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
The OP has complained that people like me create a terrible mess on ancestry, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site

And it's people like the OP that create a terrible atmosphere on FB, make life difficult for everyone else, in fact spoil the site.
Pharma, why are you so worried about what other people (strangers) think about how you manage your tree and what you do and don't put on it? Tell them that what you do is your business and if they don't like it, don't look at your tree. By even thinking about removing your tree from Ancestry or changing how you do it, you are succumbing to bullying. There is no right or wrong way in this hobby, it is how it suits you. If you are really that concerned about what others think, just make your tree private - that way they won't see any of

Ignore them and don't give them another thought. Continue to do things how you want, don't get into any arguments - just don't use that particular forum on Facebook.

It was drummed into me from an early age that I had to take responsibility for other's upset. If ever another child was crying I was sent to apologise for them being upset. I wasn't taken to places again if my mum thought to many were upset. I know my mum wouldn't believe me but I have constantly tried to make amends but constantly fail miserably. It causes me much anxiety.

You are not responsible for another person being upset, unless you caused it. Some people are just quick to take umbrage.
As for upset children, it's one thing to show sympathy, but that doesn't mean shouldering guilt.
Cowban

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 08 October 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
In addition to the excellent comments made by everyone on this thread, with which I agree, I also wonder if copyright laws apply as to whether or not certificates should be scanned and posted to an open website?

At least, that's always my first thought when I see that someone has scanned and uploaded certificates from ScotlandsPeople, for example, to their public Ancestry tree. In effect, aren't they publishing something to a website which does not have the legal right to publish it?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 08 October 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't dream of scanning and uploading certificates to Ancestry, or anywhere else for that matter.  Apart from being unsure of the copyright implications, I have paid for those certificates so why should I give them away for free?  If people started complaining, I would tell them to go and run, and would refuse to be intimidated by that kind of bullying.  Not sure which FB group you are being harassed by, but I would love to be able to have a peek to see what kind of nastiness is going on there.  Might be a good idea to leave the group as it does seem as though there are a lot of nasty, entitled people on there who are determined to get their own way.

Chin up, keep your trees, but dump the FB page!

GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 October 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Deleting your Ancestry account would be a ridiculous over-reaction but it's one option.
Leaving the Facebook group if you find it upsetting is also an option.
Shrugging your shoulders and not taking things personally is yet another option.

The extent to which we let ourselves get upset by strangers' comments is, to a large extent, under our own control. 

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 08 October 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
In addition to the excellent comments made by everyone on this thread, with which I agree, I also wonder if copyright laws apply as to whether or not certificates should be scanned and posted to an open website?

According to this TNA document the only copyright issues appear to be re. the certificate layout and logos/crests rather than actual certificates. The data protection act is applicable for information re. living individuals but that's a different matter. So it looks like we're free to share our certificates, if we wish to do so.

The National Archives
Reproduction of birth, death and marriage certificates
May 2014

3. Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I'm publishing my family tree on the internet - I want to publish images of the certificates I have.
A: As long as there are no details about living individuals there is no problem about publishing the images of the certificates on your family tree website. Any modern certificates would be subject to the Data Protection Act, and would need the permission of any living named person prior to publication.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/information-management/reproduction-of-birth-death-marriage-certificates.pdf
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson