Author Topic: Should I delete my account?  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Should I delete my account?
« Reply #45 on: Monday 09 October 17 17:11 BST (UK) »
In addition to the excellent comments made by everyone on this thread, with which I agree, I also wonder if copyright laws apply as to whether or not certificates should be scanned and posted to an open website?

According to this TNA document the only copyright issues appear to be re. the certificate layout and logos/crests rather than actual certificates. The data protection act is applicable for information re. living individuals but that's a different matter. So it looks like we're free to share our certificates, if we wish to do so.

The National Archives
Reproduction of birth, death and marriage certificates
May 2014

3. Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I'm publishing my family tree on the internet - I want to publish images of the certificates I have.
A: As long as there are no details about living individuals there is no problem about publishing the images of the certificates on your family tree website. Any modern certificates would be subject to the Data Protection Act, and would need the permission of any living named person prior to publication.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/information-management/reproduction-of-birth-death-marriage-certificates.pdf

Thank you, cuffie81, that's great to know!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I agree wholeheartedly with everything said here, apart from one thing.

The OP is obviously one of the young generation who think they are entitled to anything and everything without putting up the cash or doing the work.

Thats a rather unfair comment Lizzie, we have no idea who this person is or their age. Could be a nonogenarian trying to complete their tree, not that age makes what they are saying any better.

How do we know they are not also a RCer and are one of the 1508 people who have looked at this, figure correct at start of my post.

I doubt every RCer is whiter than white, those of us answering here meet often so to speak but there must be hundreds who we don't know from adam.

Sorry Lizzie but if throwing stones make sure you are not in the greenhouse. You should have said "maybe" not "obviously".

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
Without wanting to start an argument or cause ill feeling, I do have to agree with John. It isn't only younger people "who think they are entitled to anything and everything without putting up the cash or doing the work."  We know from posts on here that people of all ages often say they can't afford or don't want to get certificates or take out subscriptions and could someone do a look up for them. I am sure there are a lot of younger people on RC who give a lot of time to helping others.

I think this also shows how careful we need to be when stating opinions on any forum, they don't always come out in the way we mean and can easily offend people.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
If the problem lies solely on Facebook, the simplest thing would be to Block the person you don't like, then you won't be able to see one another's posts.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry Lizzie but if throwing stones make sure you are not in the greenhouse. You should have said "maybe" not "obviously".

Ok - maybe.