Author Topic: Should I delete my account?  (Read 6952 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Should I delete my account?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 October 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
I did try and argue that I was only responsible for the accuracy of my tree and not that of others but was told I was being selfish, arrogant and shouldn't be allowed.  Don't get me wrong I'm not against helping people, I have done loads of times. BUT even if I do offer help surely, ultimately the responsibility for accuracy lies with the tree holder.  I'm not saying I haven't made mistakes either but surely I am only responsible for my own mistakes and not others.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 October 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
You can't argue with some people, I had trouble with someone who insisted it wasn't her gt uncle who died WW1 as her parents would have told her, it was the man in my tree who'd died (same name, lived quite close, same rank, same regiment). I told her in Soldier's Effects NOK was her gt uncle's father with an address same as their 1911 census. She then wrote to me and told me the family I had put on the man in my tree weren't his as he'd died in 1917 and they were all post WW1 - in that case my mother her siblings, my sister, cousins and I don't exist. He was my maternal grandfather and he didn't die until I was 11. What can you do?

Treat them as trolls as been said by CarolA3 they are bullies trying it on to get free certs. - don't argue just ignore them or leave that particular site.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 October 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
I would take no notice at all of them.  It is up to you what information you put on 'your tree' there are no rules (apart from not putting living people of course)

I have recently started adding some of my families but instead of pasting copies I have transcribed some entries and their source. Hopefully others who have given illegitimate children 'married parents' inventing a father when the baptism entry clearly states 'baseborn' and other such comments from registers that rarely appear on online transcripts will benefit from these remarks. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 October 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Trolls - that's the other name for them which I couldn't think of!  Thanks Medpat.  Either way, they count for nothing in my world.

Carol

OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 October 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
I do share information with others once they have proved a close connection to a relative.
Regards panda

Out of interest, what records/documents would you accept as proof of a close connection? 

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 October 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
I don't ask for exact proof as in documents, I enter intoa  discussion with them as to why they believe there is a connection that's all
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 October 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
I think you are correct in wondering whether you should withdraw from the site - but not the Ancestry one but the Facebook one from whence these ridiculous comments arise.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 October 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
As to proof of a relative I would check that their research follows the same lines as mine. I have lots of family photos of past generations. A good example is a lady how is connected to my tree through a cousin of my grandmothers. There were three cousins. This lady in New Zealand is descended from one of the cousins. I was able to send her photos of her relation and her sisters. I was also able to send her a photo of the parents. The name was quite unusual and was easy to prove that we were researching the same line. I have seen so many trees that are wrong that it makes me laugh nowadays when you see that people put so little effort into their research but expect you to give them everything for nothing.
Regards panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 October 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
Pharma, why are you so worried about what other people (strangers) think about how you manage your tree and what you do and don't put on it? Tell them that what you do is your business and if they don't like it, don't look at your tree. By even thinking about removing your tree from Ancestry or changing how you do it, you are succumbing to bullying. There is no right or wrong way in this hobby, it is how it suits you. If you are really that concerned about what others think, just make your tree private - that way they won't see any of it!

As others have said, the reason they are probably complaining is that by adding all sources and certificates etc, you make it easy for them. They don't have to check things for themselves, they just download them and if it is certificates they save themselves money and do it on the cheap. Perhaps your counter argument to them should be that you are very surprised that they don't like the fun of seeking out and checking information for themselves rather than taking things at face value.

Ignore them and don't give them another thought. Continue to do things how you want, don't get into any arguments - just don't use that particular forum on Facebook.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk