Author Topic: Samuel Burke  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Dillcom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Burke
« on: Sunday 08 October 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for any information on Samuel Burke. He is a family member... He was born on 18 August 1906 . In Derry (Londonderry) northern Ireland.  He may have imigrated to Canada or America  after 1935 .  He may have married after he imigrated to someone with the surname smith..

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Burke
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hello, Dillcom. Welcome to RootsChat.
From birth registration: Father John James Burke, mother Rebecca, maiden name King.
1911 Irish census family was at Henry St., Londonderry. Samuel's siblings were Elizabeth, Jane, Rebecca, Anne, Alice and Mabel. Father's occupation was printer.
Are you looking for information about Samuel after his emigration to Canada or U.SA. or between 1911 and 1935?
Was he on 1940 U.S. census?
Cowban

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
I would be interested in this as my step=farhers' name was dpiglas thomas burke his parents were thomas an patricia, his beother were either martin or micheal his younger brother was stuart. his coudsin was rex burke he worked for hamworthy engineeringhe was very gigh up in the company a managing director i think should be able to find out fromm compznys house, he married the oewners daughter,caant remember her name, sorry.martin/micheal was a policeman and all the burke sons married ritchiewomen sisters' obviouslyparkstone poole dorset if that helps not sure of parents origins could be scots or irish
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi can I just ask why is the year of possible departure to the USA or Canada c 1935 so relevant, as I can see a departure of a Samuel Burke occ Labourer aged 22 from a Londonderry address in 1928?
Just thought I would bump this up in the hope more help is available you.

Seeing mention in previous post of Henry Street Londonderry a Samuel Burke 22 occ Labourer returned from Montreal to Glasgow 15th September 1928 with an address of 11, Henry Street, Londonderry?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dillnet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 23:45 BST (UK) »
 HI i think this is my grandfather Samuel Burke he was born in londenderry and the adress is the same hi can you tell me more info <please thanks  :)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all I can locate with reference to the outward voyage in 1928 is:-

Arrival 31st March 1928 Halifax on Vessel Cameronia, Londondderry to Halifax:-

Samuel Burke 18 occ Labourer Father James Burke of 2, Derryview, Waterside, Londonderry

Samuel Burke 22 occ Labourer Father John Burke of 11, Henry Street, Londonderry
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
2 more boys called Samuel Burke in Londonderry on 1911 census.
1. Samuel aged 8 months (so b. 1910.)
Address Strabane Old Rd.
Head: James, corn & flour-mill worker,  wife,  Eliza Jane (married 14 years) + siblings Eliza J., Annabella, John James, Matilda, William Doly, Hamilton & Maggie. Family was Methodist.
2. Samuel Burke aged 7 months. (so b. 1910)
Address Chapel Rd., L/derry
Head : Patrick, shoemaker, wife Mary (married 3 yrs.) + Kathleen (2). Family was Catholic. Patrick spoke Irish & English.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
Possibility the 2 Samuel Burkes who went to Canada in 1928 were cousins?
1901 census:

Aubrey St. (No. 3 Urban, Londonderry)
John James Burke (39), printer/compositor
Rebecca, wife
+ children, Elixabeth, James, Rebecca, Anne Hamilton* (5), Alice & Mabel.
All family born L/derry.

Strabane Old Rd. (Waterside, L/D)
James Burke (26), Foreman, meal & flour stores. Born Altnagalvin, Coonty Londonderry
Elizabeth Jane, wife + children Elizabeth, Anabella & John James.

* A younger son of James Burke of Strabane Old Rd. was called Hamilton. See 1911 census.

Birth registration of James Burke, above?
30th June 1875 James Burke. POB Altnagelvin. Father John James Burke, abode Altnagelvin, labourer. Mother Eliza Burke, formerly Hamilton*. Informant at birth Eliza Burke, present at birth, Altnagelvin. (A relative by name of Eliza Burke? If she was the mother it would have been impossible for her to have been anywhere else at the time of birth.  ;D)

Unfortunately birth of John James Burke was probably pre civil registration, so can't say who his parents were. The Hamilton ingredient may be a coincidence.

Birth registration of a Samuel Burke:
4th June 1910 Samuel Burke, 38 Strabane Rd. Father James Burke, labourer. Mother Eliza Jane Burke, formerly Dailey.

The other Samuel Burke born 1910 was Samuel Joseph, parents Patrick, occ. shoemaker, & Mary (Armstrong) of Chapel Rd. (Same address as on 1911 census.)

Marriage 29th Oct. 1896 James Burke & Eliza Daly, L/Derry.
Couldn't see marriage of John James Burke & Rebecca.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
Marriage John James Burk & Rebecca King 25th May 1886. His father's name looks like Thomas. Hers was John. Marriage was at Ballyarnell (?) Presbyterian Church, Templemore (?) parish, Co. L/Derry. Witnesses John Armstrong and Rebecca McElhinney (?)
Searching for a marriage of Rebecca King got a result. Groom's name is John Burk in index.

Marriage of parents of James Burke (b. 1875, father of Samuel b. 1910, Hamilton, Annabella, Matilda, et al.)
John James Burke & Eliza Hamilton
1872 Londonderry q1, vol 2, p. 264

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en

The 2 Samuel Burkes weren't 1st cousins then. The fact that siblings of both had Hamilton as part of their names was coincidence.
I did wonder as well about one family being Presbyterian and the other Methodist.

Cowban